Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42820 - 08/13/00 05:10 AM hard or soft luggage
studentgoing Offline

Loc: minneapolis, Mn USA
What type of luggage should I bring to Spain Hard or Soft? On the one hand hard suitcases seem more durable although heavy. However, soft are lighter. I am afraid that someone with a knife could eaily puncture a soft suitcase or the airline mishandling could tear the suitcase. What are your thoughts. I am going for a year. Any suggestions for brands? Any recommendations

#42821 - 08/13/00 10:35 AM Re: hard or soft luggage
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
My hard shell suitcase was very much destroyed on a recent flight from Spain. Even the metal frame was bent so badly that it would not close. It looked as if someone threw the suitcase against a concrete corner of a wall. But the three locks held and nothing fell out. The airline had the suitcase "repaired", but for a $200 bag it now looks very bad. It looks like junk.

Our numerous soft canvas bags have always made the trip without damage. The most costly one we have was $60. Nothing has ever been stolen. The bags return dirty, but they wash fine.

In the future, I would only buy a hard shell suitcase to travel with by car.

My friend took a beautiful leather suitcase to Spain. When we picked up our bags in Madrid at the seccion de equipage, I heard her exclaim, "My suitcase has a huge cut in it." It had been severly scratched.

My vote is that you buy a canvas bag and carry your most valuables on board.

When I was a student in Spain, I mailed a lot back to the USA, mostly books. Also, when I left for Spain to study, I went there with very little in my suitcase knowing that I would buy clothing there.

[This message has been edited by Sofia (edited 08-13-2000).]

#42822 - 08/13/00 11:14 AM Re: hard or soft luggage
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I agree with Sofia. Airline staff at the airport throw suitcases without any care because they are usually on a hurry. I wouldn't risk to buy an expensive hard suitcase to see it damage when I arrive at the airport.

Furthermore, a soft suitcase is much lighter. This is very important for a student since you will probably take books with you. Remember that you are only allowed to carry 30 kilos in international flights.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1564 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments