Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#85212 - 09/01/09 04:40 AM Online Translators
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Anyone who has used an online translator knows it leaves a lot to be desired, and in particular living in Europe means dealing with dozens of different languages. Anyways I Just discovered a really cool tool from Google, Toolbar Translator. It started coming up automatically on my Vista computer so for the heck of it I clicked on it and much to my shock it does a really really good job of translating both German and Spanish. While not perfect it's light years better than any online translator I've used, better yet it keeps all the original formatting on the webpage, no more copy and paste.

Compare this from Babelfish online translator

Safety reference: In order to guarantee that no on your on-line queried data receives to unauthorized third insight, we recommend to you after terminating the application of on-line " Cache/temporary Internetdateien" to delete in the browser.

Now from Google

Security Note:

To ensure that no unauthorized third party access to your online receive required data, we advise you to stop the online application, the "cache / temporary Internet files" in the browser to delete

Wow, pretty impressive Better yet this section from the Canal Plus homepage adverting a new Spanish TV show

Morena with good cleavage and a teacher and social worker OK that's a really good reason to watch that show

Wow, I really need to watch that show!

Not sure how you get it as it came up automatically one day but if you deal with foreign language websites it is a really really cool tool.

Edited by MadridMan (09/02/09 03:57 AM)
Edit Reason: combining two consecutive posts

#85213 - 09/01/09 04:41 AM Re: Online Translators [Re: Rob in Madrid]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Not sure how you get it as it came up automatically one day but if you deal with foreign language websites it is a really really cool tool.

#85214 - 09/01/09 04:44 AM Re: Online Translators [Re: Rob in Madrid]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

Rob, you can also do this via messenger! If you go this page: http://www.microsofttranslator.com/Default.aspx?br=ro

and look at the bottom right of the screen you can see a message about "Translation Bot for Windows Live Messenger". Basically, you add the bot as a friend on your messenger client and then you can get instant translations via chat without needed to even go to a translation webpage or open the browser for your toolbar button!

#85215 - 09/01/09 11:47 AM Re: Online Translators [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

cool, it will be really nice not having to cut and paste everything. I still have a bank account in Germany and I was actually able to understand everything. Most of it I just skipped.

#85216 - 09/01/09 12:27 PM Re: Online Translators [Re: Rob in Madrid]
Denise 2009 Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada (ex Toledo, Ohi...
I discovered the google translator when I was trying to make my way thru the RENFE site for train tickets. I agree that it made it easier for me to negotiate. It's been useful in translating some information pages for me too. Nice tool to have.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2730 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments