Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45329 - 10/26/05 04:54 PM Why Venga?
Participar Offline

Can someone explain to be why in the north of the country people keep saying venga instead of goodbye or hasta luego when thay are departing each others company.

What is the meaning in this context.

#45330 - 10/26/05 11:23 PM Re: Why Venga?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
YEP, When I lived in sevilla venga was used often. Venga vale (hurry up already)was common.It is just one of those words that took on a meaning of its own. Any spaniards care to comment?

#45331 - 10/27/05 05:27 AM Re: Why Venga?
ggladman Offline

Loc: Barcelona
"Venga" is one of those multipurpose words that gets used in a lot of situations...usually it's in the sense of "come on" or "let's go", but it can also be used like "ok" or "all right". Technically it's the third-person imperative of "venir", or "to come", which is where the "come on" usage comes from.

"Venga, hasta luego" ("all right, see you later") is one of the most typical ways of saying goodbye in Spain.

I've heard entire phone conversations consisting almost solely of the words "vale" and "venga". smile

#45332 - 10/27/05 05:33 AM Re: Why Venga?
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Pues venga, pozzi.

#45333 - 10/27/05 03:15 PM Re: Why Venga?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
¡Vale tío!

#45334 - 12/03/05 06:15 AM Re: Why Venga?
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
I'm not an expert on Spanish, but, since venga is the imperative of venir, it likely is a colloquial, "Come back (soon)," a very reasonable way of saying goodbye to someone...equivalent to American "See you later."

Steve

#45335 - 12/03/05 09:22 PM Re: Why Venga?
Guiri Grande Offline

Loc: San Antonio
Just to throw a little monkey wrench into your discussion about venir ---

In English, if you are at home and someone knocked on the door or called for you, you would answer "I am coming."

In Spanish, you would answer "Voy." Translated literally that means "I am going."

Just thought I would see if I could confuse you a little more with regards to venir.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
galaxy, gazpacho
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1882 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments