Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45184 - 06/24/05 01:16 PM graduate study in spain
mark_dup1 Offline

I am interested in traveling to Spain for graduate study in two years or less (1 year after I graduate in May). I have been reading about the graduate departments at many of the universities from their websites (the parts in English). I realize very few Americans are willing to attend graduate study in Spain (or any non-English speaking country for that matter), but I wanted to do this for reasons other than merely academic--to learn 1 more new languages, to be a part of a different culture and to learn a different mode of living. Anyway, I choose Spain for many reasons language (which I know somewhat), proximity to other parts of Europe, and they make excellent movies. My undergraduate degree will be in Chemical Engineering, but I am planning to pursue a slightly different track for graduate school-- probably in the field of Food Science. I realize that doing this would be economically taxing (no free graduate school as in USA graduate sciences, a higher cost of living in major Spanish cities). I have a couple questions: I have had difficulty finding a ranking of the graduate departments of Spanish universities and I was hoping someone could enlighten me. Futhermore, I was hoping that other Americans that have studied in Spain at the post-undergraduate level could tell me about their experiences and their difficulties. At first glance I like a couple of the universities in Barcelona (as well as the weather!), but my direction could change depending on what information I can gather.

#45185 - 06/24/05 02:45 PM Re: graduate study in spain
jabch Offline

Mark: here you have probably the most complete source of information on Spanish universities. Only in Spanish, sorry! Anyway, if you plan on studying a graduate degree in Spain, it will probably be taught in Spanish, unless you go to a language or Business school.

Gook luck!

http://www.crue.org/CD-guiacrue/index.htm

Click on "Las Universidades Espanolas" then pick a region you are interested on and go from there.

The following link is a ranking on best college-level degrees in Spain, but can give you an idea as to what schools offer what you are looking for (only in Spanish). Remeber that rankings are important in a lot of countries, but not as in the U.S., (where there's ranking-mania laugh ) so you won't find many U.S.news-type magazines in Spain.

http://aula.elmundo.es/aula/especiales/2005/50carreras/index.html

Also check out:
http://www.uab.es/servlet/Satellite?cid=1096477056504&pagename=UAB%2FPage%2FTemplatePageLevel2&param1=DoctoratProgrames&param2=1090573141676

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2705 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments