Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44085 - 02/18/03 11:32 PM Best city to study Spanish
Katha Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Hi, everybody,
I just found this board today, and so far I LOVE it! I plan to go to Spain in April for a Spanish course, and I am looking for a city in Spain where the locals DON'T want to speak English as a second language! The reason why I ask this, is because, when I go to Mexico, everyone insists on speaking English with me. (They won't speak Spanish, since I look like the gringa/Anglo that I am!) I have even gone into stores, spoke in Spanish, and had people answer me in English, and my Spanish is fluent...I am a bilingual teacher (English/Spanish).

I have the choice between Barcelona and Granada. Does anyone have opinions? Thank you!

#44086 - 02/19/03 05:27 AM Re: Best city to study Spanish
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I am spending this semester in Granada!!! I also spent last summer in Bilbao. I really love both cities, but they are soooo different! I also have a couple catalan friends in Barcelona, and was just there last weekend, sooooo for what it is worth- heres my thoughts on this. All 3 cities are great places, but for a place to study spanish, there are some things you should think about.
I really would push for Bilbao, BUT if you have to decide between Granada and Barcelona? I would choose Granada hands down for a couple reasons..

1) The language! Spanish is THE language spoken here. Although at first the accent is difficult to understand, after being here around a month, it is not a problem anymore. In contrast, if you go to Barcelona, you will hear more Catalan then you will spanish outside of the classroom. Although I love my catalan friends, when Im not around, they speak in Catalan. I looked at studying in Barcelona, and the classes I could take were limited because at the university there, a lot of them are taught in Catalan...just something to keep in mind.

2) The cities! I love Barcelona to visit. But it is a very very big city, and would take a lot more time to truely "know". In Granada, I think it is the perfect size, big enough that there is everything you could possibly want to do, but small enough that you can really feel like you know the city well, after not much time at all.
It is also a university town, so lots of student, lots of stuff to do. My classes here are with other spaniards at the University of Granada, and I really like the atmosphere there.

Well, those are my thoughts, Im sure you will love it wherever you go!!!! Im not going to want to leave here in June! As they say here in Granada... adiooooooo
Kelly laugh

#44087 - 02/19/03 04:08 PM Re: Best city to study Spanish
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
There is a wonderful language school in Málaga: http://www.malacainst-ch.es/left.htm

We had no problems last summer with folks using English with us in Southern Spain. I don't know of any language schools in Granada, but I know there are several. Try this website, I think they list some schools somewhere on the site: http://granadainfo.com

#44088 - 02/19/03 07:23 PM Re: Best city to study Spanish
Katha Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
Hi, everybody,
Thank you for the wonderful advice. It is true that in Barcelona, Catalan is very widely spoken. However, I do love that city! I am still thinking about what to do, but I just wanted to say thank you for replying so quickly!
Kathaleen

#44089 - 02/21/03 06:08 PM Re: Best city to study Spanish
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Ask Shawn, who studied there, about Valladolid...I spent four months living there myself.

The accent is considered the most neutral of the Castellano accents (the Castellano purist actually feels that Burgos boasts the purest Castellano with the vallisoletano accent a close second).

I realize it's not Granada or Barcelona, but for language it's a great choice. It also represents the opportunity to spend time in a place that's out of the way, but with all you need to keep you busy.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2074 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments