Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43446 - 11/26/01 01:21 PM ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I've got all of the other letters under control. How do you make the accented "e" when typing on the computer? Oh, what about the upside down exclamation point, too?

#43447 - 11/26/01 03:34 PM Re: ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
PacoM Offline

Hello Carole,

About.com has just the right guide for you.
It is called " Typing Spanish Accents and Punctuation ". This guide gives instructions for typing Spanish accents for Windows and Macintosh's. You can print out the instructions and tape them to your monitor for easy reference. Gerald Erichsen is the on-line guide person to the Spanish language for About.com

Goodluck!

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#43448 - 11/26/01 04:15 PM Re: ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Carole,
If you have a Windows pc hit the alt key and use you right hand numbers keypad and type 130 while holding down the ALT key and voilá, la é, for the question mark try ALT + 168, ¿

A nice person from this board shared this information with me not too long ago and since I have been wowing my Spanish mother when I send her e-mails with the correct punctuation, she can't believe that I remember my accents! rolleyes

Booklady

#43449 - 11/26/01 04:46 PM Re: ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
BTW: The ¡ is ALT+173...and the É is ALT+144 (just in case you want CAPS). An easy way to (even though the Real Academia doesn't require it) accent capital letters is to use the "font" option in Word, highlighting your text, and selecting "all caps"...it will keep the accent while capitalizing your letters...

#43450 - 11/26/01 10:41 PM Re: ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Thanks! Why couldn't I figure out 1 3 0!! But the exclamation point, please?

#43451 - 11/27/01 04:55 AM Re: ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
I posted this in another forum (I can't remember where!), but in Windows it's possible to have a virtual Spanish keyboard set up along with your usual one. You can switch between them with a single mouse click. An accented letter is just ' before the vowel,
é,í,ó etc. ¡ is just the = key.

#43452 - 11/27/01 05:48 AM Re: ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
El Boqueron and others, ummm.. :o .. I think I inadvertantly DELETED the thread about which you are referring. I found it, was in the process of transferring it to this "new" forum, and then it was gone. Not sure what happened. Maybe it still exists, but couldn't find it with a couple searches of the entire message board. Gulp! Sorry. frown

Upside down exclamation point: ALT+173= ¡
(remember, on a PC keyboard the NUM LOCK key must be activated to use the number keypad on the right side of your keyboard). When in Spain, it's faster for me to use this method rather than find, use the accented characters on the Spanish keyboard. And it still works!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#43453 - 11/27/01 05:52 AM Re: ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
Tia Offline

The exclamation mark: ALT + 0161 y ¡ya está!
Tia smile

Ooops! My answer wasn´t as speedy as yours, MM. How come that we use different codes by the way? Does it depend on the different (American or Swedish) keyboard settings?

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Tia ]

#43454 - 11/27/01 08:40 AM Re: ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That is curious, Tia. I've never seen 4-digit codes, but your ALT+0161 works too for me to make the "¡", just one extra digit it seems. Try mine on your keyboard and see if it works.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#43455 - 11/27/01 09:10 AM Re: ¿Accented "e"--por favor?
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Ah, those pearls of wisdom lost forever down some electronic waste pipe! Nevermind - if anyone wants to use the Spanish keyboard method but doesn't know how to set it up, let me know. The main advantage (at least for my feeble brain) is lower memory load - you don't have to remember all those arbitrary ALT sequences.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1582 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments