Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86431 - 01/28/10 08:34 AM does anyone know what this phrase means?
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
"Que no bien"

#86432 - 01/28/10 09:18 AM Re: does anyone know what this phrase means? [Re: teachertraveler8]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
teachertraveler8,

According to Google Translate, it means "not good."

gazpacho

#86433 - 01/28/10 09:27 AM Re: does anyone know what this phrase means? [Re: gazpacho]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, Gazpacho. I was writing a pen-pal who used this expression and I think it is a colloquial phrase. I'm wondering if anyone knows how it is used? I thought it meant "not good" also, so I wrote back, "Porque no estas bien?" and she wrote, "Estoy bien", so that's why I'm perplexed about the meaning.

#86437 - 01/28/10 04:05 PM Re: does anyone know what this phrase means? [Re: teachertraveler8]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

teachertraveler8,

I understand. It would be nice if one of our Spanish members of this site would answer.

gazpacho

#86439 - 01/28/10 07:32 PM Re: does anyone know what this phrase means? [Re: gazpacho]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

I found out...First, I had it wrong, it was "que bien no" Second, my penpal is notorious for not using punctuation, so it is "Que bien, ?no?" Meaning...That's great! It's so helpful to have a native speaker living at my house now!

#86441 - 01/28/10 08:56 PM Re: does anyone know what this phrase means? [Re: teachertraveler8]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

teachertraveler8,

I type letters to my Spanish friends using MS Word. They always send me handwritten letters. And I have a heck of a time deciphering them. Some sentences I just give up on. I have a Christmas card right now, I'm still trying to figure out. It's not the language, its the penmanship.

gazpacho

#86446 - 01/29/10 06:17 AM Re: does anyone know what this phrase means? [Re: gazpacho]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hahahaa... .SEE, PEOPLE, what happens when we don't use punctuation?!?! Man, that's a serious pet peeve of mine. I some English-speaker friends (sorry, don't mean to generalize, but in all cases they're British) who write entire paragraphs without a single punctuation mark or capital letter. It's infuriating trying to read it. mad

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#86449 - 01/29/10 07:04 AM Re: does anyone know what this phrase means? [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
"I some English-speaker friends" That would be - " I HAVE some English SPEAKING friends " jejejejejejejeje . I love the Brit-American debate !!!

#86453 - 01/29/10 10:27 AM Re: does anyone know what this phrase means? [Re: steve robinson]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

No Steve,

I think what you're pointing out is a Brit vs. MadridMan debate. Obviously he was typing late at night, or he had an errant keyboard. But you're right, he slaughtered our language.

At one time, when I looked at all the typos and misuse of the language on this board, it drove me crazy. But then I noticed that some of my posts weren't much better.

gazpacho

#86454 - 01/29/10 11:44 AM Re: does anyone know what this phrase means? [Re: gazpacho]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Actually Gazpacho , you´re right .. And I often have to go back to my posts to correct typos . Normally MM does that before he posts so it was just "amusing" .
I have had big conversations here about the difference between UK and USA English . Always good fun . Many things you use , or are considered correct , in the USA would fail you in your exams / tests in the UK . The one that springs to mind is "gonna" ...completely unacceptable in the UK . But there are so many differences in our shared language . Sidewalk=pavement , hood=bonnet , trunk=boot , rubber = eraser .. not condom ! When you guys say "i´m pissed" it means you´re unhappy .. in the UK it means you´re drunk .
I had to teach all this sort of stuff to a business client .
It´s really interesting for me . My flatmate ( from Perú) spent 14 years in Chicago so I often hear the differences when he speaks .
As a footnote .. Some schools ( business and for kids ) here insist that you teach both American and UK English . Especially the business clients . Having always been close to colleagues in NYC , Chicago and San Francisco in my previous life in finance I had a head start on my teacher colleagues , especially the 22 year olds arriving here in Madrid having had no real interaction with Europe .
I´m still learning about American English and I love being educated about it .
JD Salinger died a few days ago ... Catcher in the Rye was an amazing book .. The way it was written was so American . One of my all time favourite writers is Jack Kerouac .. very American style ( though from Lowell, Massachusetts he was born of parents fro Quebec I believe ) .
A film I watched many years ago was "The Dead Poets´society" with Robin Williams and Sean Robert Leonard . Had I not seen that amazing film I would never had learnt about Walt Whitman´s poetry .. an amazing poet .
In school we studied the English language classics .. but always UK based . That´s to say - Shakespeare , William Golding , Jane Austen , George Eliot and the "war poets" such as WH Auden , Siegfried Sassoon and , my absolute favourite , Wilfred Owen . We never studied the American classics which was a shame . I´m trying to catch up !

Edited by steve robinson (01/29/10 12:05 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1636 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments