Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#45618 - 05/11/07 01:00 AM Why... (language confusion)
Uki Offline

Loc: Madrid
I've noticed something: when a foreign person try to speak Spanish, we try (unfortunately not all of us, but most of us do) to understand what they want to say. Sometimes we have to guess the words they are saying (because of their weird pronunciation).
But when I chat in English, I notice that some people never try to understand you. There are words we pronounce as we learnt (for example with English accent) and they treat us like if we can't speak English at all.
I almost forgot grammar, because my last English class was 12 years ago and I'm not used to speak (but I understand films without subtitles). But I think I can chat with people (in fact, I was like a tourist guide for a friend of mine's friend coming from the Netherlands).

Don't buy pets, adopt them

#45619 - 05/16/07 11:31 AM Re: Why... (language confusion)
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
when you chat in english are you speaking to an english person or foreigner who speaks english, from my experiance not many english people are fluent in spanish and i try to speak in spanish and i must admit i do get embarresed but i do try and yes they do sometimes ignore you in one bar i asked for dos cafe con leche uno te and they did not understand the word te i was trying to say i asked a few spaniards where i was going wrong and they all said it was correct, so i assume this person was just ignoring me

#45620 - 05/17/07 10:15 AM Re: Why... (language confusion)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The title you gave for this post tells me there's a question in there, somewhere. If you intended one of your statements to be a question, shouldn't you have ended it with a question mark?? I don't see any question marks in your post. What's your question?? rolleyes

#45621 - 05/20/07 12:18 AM Re: Why... (language confusion)
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
My guess is that it all depends on the location and it's people.

Any large city here in the USA is gonna have an abundance of foreing accents, there isn't much of uniqueness or an element of novelty if an X percentage of people aren't very proficient, then the locals will seem to be more "short" in attempting to comunicate with this sector as opposed to smaller places where the accent could be more of a novelty.

It's frustating trying to have a conversation with someone not proficient on the language at hand, it may be "cute" if you're killing time at a Tiki bar at the beach but not so cute if conducting business or if you have a more serious need to understand the other individual.

I've been on both sides plenty of times and both ends are uncomfortable. I still have an accent and occassionally have to repeat a word or statement in order to be understood.

That's my 2 cents.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1586 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments