Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#44687 - 07/08/04 02:01 PM definition of gay, i.e. "gay Madrid"
Karri Offline

Loc: Northern Il
I know this is dumb but in a lot of the desriptions they say "in the heart of gay Madrid".
In the states the word gay has changed meaning.
Can you define it as it is used here?

#44688 - 07/08/04 03:12 PM Re: definition of gay, i.e. "gay Madrid"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Karri!

"Gay" was used here in the USA long ago as well - weren't the 1890s called "The Gay 90's"?? confused Maybe it was some other decade from long ago.

Can you tell us what source you're referencing? Maybe they really are talking about the Madrid neighborhood of Chueca which MAY be called, by some, "Gay Madrid". For example, you still hear Paris, France as being called "Gay Paris" or "Paris" as it's pronounced in French, like "Gay Paree". So, they're most likely referring Madrid as "Lively" or even "Spirited". And while not positive, I believe the British have used this adjective much later than the USA in the "Lively" or "Spritied" meaning. And since most Spanish in Spain is translated using British English then that may be the reason.

Hope that helps. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#44689 - 07/08/04 08:55 PM Re: definition of gay, i.e. "gay Madrid"
Karri Offline

Loc: Northern Il
Gay has two meanings the one you use above and homosexual. I see the word gay used in many things as in descriptions for hostels and areas of the city.

#44690 - 07/09/04 04:52 AM Re: definition of gay, i.e. "gay Madrid"
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Karri --

As Madridman said the meaning could either be spirited/lively, or the more literal meaning of homosexual.

There is a specific neighborhood in Madrid, Chueca, which is known for it´s gay/lesbian community.

If you could be more specific in what it is that your reading, or quote the text here, it may help us in telling you the definition. smile

#44691 - 07/09/04 04:59 AM Re: definition of gay, i.e. "gay Madrid"
Monofeo Offline

Loc: Metro Los Angeles, California
Hi Karri!

Just from the bit of information you have posted, I would gather they are talking about "gay" as in "homosexuality" and not "gay" as in "spirited" or "lively".

What specifically are you reading? A web site or guide?

Monofeo

#44692 - 07/09/04 06:01 AM Re: definition of gay, i.e. "gay Madrid"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd bet nine to one they are referring to homosexual enviroment, 99.999 to 1 if you read the phrase originally in spanish, since for spanish who don't know english, the original meaning is unknown, lasting only "gay=homosexual".

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments