Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#43654 - 02/12/02 06:53 PM softball
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Is there a translation for softball? My female students don't want to say they play baseball!

#43655 - 02/12/02 07:36 PM Re: softball
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
La Maestra,

According to the Babelfish translator, the word "softball" comes out as; "beísbol con pelota blanda."

Now if the fish is working right, maybe this is right, if not, please don't slap my face. I have no idea what that means!

Wolf (Who babbles a lot with the Babelfish translator - rolleyes )

#43656 - 02/13/02 05:03 PM Re: softball
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Hey, how about "béisbol femenino" o "béisbol para hombres gordos y borrachos"...either one would be appropriate. :p

#43657 - 02/13/02 07:37 PM Re: softball
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

I can see now that this softball thing isn't going to be easy! I have enough trouble getting the kids to understand that in Spanish one does not purchase un beisbol(sorry, I can't find my accent cheat sheet!)but rather una pelota de beisbol. Now the ladies have to say an entire phrase to describe their sport! I was sort of hoping some mutant term would have been invented (I guess like volibol or golf). Sigh.

Wolf, I guess I may just have to use your term. Cali, somehow I get the feeling that using the borracho suggestion might get me in trouble with the masses...much as I might like to use it!

#43658 - 02/14/02 03:32 AM Re: softball
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi Maestra!

And, why don't they just call it softball? wink . I know that here nobody knows softball but ... if they play it and make this play famous ... everybody will know the word softball laugh and we'll call that game as "sófbol" in just a couple of years.

I supose that when baseball started in Spains nobody knew about "baseball" but the people called it Baseball they didn't use something as "pelota base or bate pelota". And now the word baseball (béisbol is just as it sounds "baseball" to us) is normal.
The same thing happened with football. We don´t call it "balón pié" we call it fútbol that is the sound of "football" in spanish.

Bye!

#43659 - 02/14/02 08:15 AM Re: softball
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Hombre,

Actually Spain grabbed the word béisbol from our Latin American countries, where baseball grew just about as rapidly, and at just about the same time, as it did in the U.S. In fact, if you look at the Major Leagues in the U.S. and Canada, the people who make up the majority of the players are from these countries. The number grows each year, because they can play the game year round in their warmer climates, and develop their skills at a younger age than the average U.S. player. Also, for some, it's been a way out of poverty, and that can be a tremendous tool for them to find a better life.

Even the majority of the U.S. born players come from southern states, and California.

The newest influences in the game are coming out of Japan and Korea as well. They have some pretty darned talented players, and this year, probably the best player in the states was Ichiro, from Japan. If he wasn't the best, someone would have to prove it to me, since he did just about everything for the Mariners except sell hot dogs and soda in the stands, and probably would have done that if asked - smile

What's really unique about baseball (béisbol) in the U.S. is that about half the players "first language" is Spanish. It shows the need for Americans to get off their dead arses and require that Spanish be taught as a second language in our schools, not unlike how English is taught in Europe as a second language.

Alas - frown It don't happen here. I guess there are too many "self-imposed illiterates" who think it's the wrong thing to do, and some even say it's a perversion of our "own ways," but in my case, I "forced" all three of my kids to take Spanish for four years in high school, because I felt it was important to their growth as a person, and world understanding. Now, two of the three are thankful for it. They use it just about every day in their work. It's made the difference for both, whereas they've been able to create six figure incomes when their co-workers who didn't bother to make Spanish part of their education and lives, are floundering away at about half of what they make.

See? laugh Dad isn't always wrong. Sometimes he's right!

Wolf (Whose kids are finding out more and more, every day why I pushed them in some things harder than others - wink )

#43660 - 02/14/02 06:39 PM Re: softball
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Hombre_Gizon, I am somewhat confused by the football argument. You use the word futbol to mean soccer. When we say "football" we think only of what you call "futbol americano." Didn't you play soccer before you became aware of our sport of football? Is soccer called football in England?

I'm reluctant to just use sofbol because of all the really awful Spanglish that I hear when people take language into their own hands!

#43661 - 02/15/02 03:09 AM Re: softball
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
La Maestra said
Quote:
Is soccer called football in England?

No ... football is called soccer in the US
laugh laugh
Yes, we call fútbol to your soccer because in England is called "football".

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2058 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments