Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40687 - 06/11/01 10:45 PM Vaughan Systems...
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi all!

Has anyone ever heard of Vaughan Systems? It looks like they do corporate English classes. I just found them on the web, but don't know anything about them? Do you know if they hire Americans?

Thanks,
Denise

#40688 - 06/12/01 08:08 AM Re: Vaughan Systems...
nevado Offline

Yes, they do hire Americans. They are very serious about their teaching/teachers and they don't hire "I want to live in Spain and party" fly by night teachers. You must be highly qualified and professional to get a job there. They expect you to dress well and to prepare good lessons. They pay very well so they can be selective.

#40689 - 06/12/01 02:45 PM Re: Vaughan Systems...
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was curious about this company, so I did a search with Google and found the website. I'm a bit confused - if it's so serious about its teachers, why do they not ask for someone with a teaching certificate, but rather just experience at a "real job"? What is "highly qualified" according to them? I'm looking into working legally in Spain (I have a Spanish passport) and this company sounds great, but I'm afraid it's too good to be true! Any further information or personal experiences would be very appreciated! laugh

SusiLaGallega

#40690 - 06/12/01 03:24 PM Re: Vaughan Systems...
GranadaGirl Offline

That's what I was worried about. They do seem 'too good to be true'!!

#40691 - 07/03/01 12:58 PM Re: Vaughan Systems...
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well, I have been doing some research regarding Vaughn Systems... I thought you might be interested to know what I found out, GranadaGirl!
I have been going to a yahoo groups message board for teaching english in Spain and have received mixed reviews...
Two people responded to my question. They both live in Madrid and both had friends who worked at Vaughn Systems. One said that her friend hated it, that it was a completely different teaching system than any she had ever studied for and that she didn't like working there. Another member answered and simply stated that her friends still work there and wishes that Vaughn would hire her too. I will try to get some more details from this person and report back!
GranadaGirl, are you looking to work in Madrid or Granada? Or both? Are you moving there anytime soon?

SusiLaGallega

#40692 - 07/06/01 04:29 PM Re: Vaughan Systems...
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I've contacted and been contacted by Vaughan Systems. The one snag that should eliminate all (or most) Americans from the pot is this: Vaughan does NOT sponsor Americans. The rationale given me is this: The expense is not justifiable as there are "many competent English-speakers within the EU."

I was a little disappointed to get that news. I noticed that the folks on the site (pictures inlcuded) who are current employees seem to be a cross-section of many countries, including the EE.UU.

CaliBasco [who sometimes wishes he had citizenship in a country with one less 'E' and one less 'U']

#40693 - 07/06/01 10:49 PM Re: Vaughan Systems...
GranadaGirl Offline

Oh man!!! I'm still going to contact them, though, maybe I'll catch them on a good day!!

GranadaGirl
(she who ALSO wishes she had citizenship in a country with one less E and one less U!)

#40694 - 07/10/01 09:13 PM Re: Vaughan Systems...
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
The nationality of a teacher of English makes a difference in the end product. I once met an Italian in the town of Feligara, Italy, who spoke English with a flawless Scottish burr. His teacher had been a Scot. So it might make some sense for a school to ask its students which flavor of English they would prefer to learn.
Cantabene

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1913 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments