Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42308 - 07/10/05 05:34 PM RELOCATING TO SPAIN ... BLINDLY! ..gulp!
Aye Offline

Loc: california
Hi everyone-
I'm heavily considering moving to Spain in the coming months. I was born in Madrid, but have lived in the US for over 24 years. I'm a citizen of the US and have no family in Spain (at least that i know). When i move, i do it blindly and just jump through. Unfortunetly, this is a bit different from jumping state to state to open restaurants. I am a very successful executive Chef in the states (NYC, DENVER, LOS ANGELES). I'm scared to leave everything behind, although i'm not attached to anything here, but my dog .. who is coming with me. I've been thinking about this move for quite some time and am convienced this is my destiny... at least for now smile . The problem is .. I don't know where to begin! How much money should i have in my pocket? how can i get a job? where should i live? argghhh.... decisions, decisions. Would it be easy for me to get working permit b/c i was born in Spain?
alex

#42309 - 07/10/05 06:32 PM Re: RELOCATING TO SPAIN ... BLINDLY! ..gulp!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Why don't you open a restaurant? smile

Fernando

#42310 - 07/10/05 09:17 PM Re: RELOCATING TO SPAIN ... BLINDLY! ..gulp!
Aye Offline

Loc: california
well here i've been asked to open a few. I don't know Madrid's demographics and don't know what kind of food is in demand there, plus no tengo mucho DINERO. frown

#42311 - 07/11/05 08:43 AM Re: RELOCATING TO SPAIN ... BLINDLY! ..gulp!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Aye,
Couple of thoughts -
1. Are you fluent in Spanish - both verbal and written? If not - what is the level of profiency, if at all? Being able to converse is crucial if you are hoping to make the move even somewhat financially comprable -
2. Have you taken the time to develop contacts in Madrid (or elsewhere in Spain for that matter) with the food industry?
3. Ditto professional organizations within the industry?

I would absolutely suggest making contacts within the industry NOW - while you are with an established restauant -

#42312 - 07/11/05 09:24 AM Re: RELOCATING TO SPAIN ... BLINDLY! ..gulp!
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
I think puna is right. Also,you might want to look into the school where you trained to become a chef. It is very possible that your teachers will have contacts in spain.You are young, so I don't think you will have a problem picking up the language. I would suggest taking a few courses in spanish before you leave.

#42313 - 07/11/05 04:11 PM Re: RELOCATING TO SPAIN ... BLINDLY! ..gulp!
llewilli Offline

Loc: Washington DC
Why don't you come to DC to work for Jose Andres at one of his many successful restaurants - Zaytinya, Jaleo, Minibar, Oyamel -- he's sure to put you in contact with the spanish cooking community seeing as how he's from spain and has a daily cooking show there.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3024 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments