Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42184 - 04/05/05 10:47 AM I would like to know what you think about TEFL?
A.P Offline

Loc: London
I have been doing some research in http://www.ebc-tefl-course.com/location/madrid.htm
What are yout opinion about TEFL courses?
Im interested in going to Madrid.
Its really serious like its saying in the website? Does it give you a job after you finish the course?

I would like to know your opinion

thanks!

#42185 - 04/05/05 04:01 PM Re: I would like to know what you think about TEFL?
llewilli Offline

Loc: Washington DC
There are a lot of posts on this topic already. Do a search and you'll find tons of info. Also check out www.expatriatecafe.com

#42186 - 04/16/05 05:31 AM Re: I would like to know what you think about TEFL?
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Based on my own experience and on others tales I can give my opinion...
1) With a TEFL\qualification, a little knowledge of Spanish and a bit of assertiveness you will be able to find work almost straight away
2) However you will find it very difficult to obtain regular reliable work initially. It seems to take a year or 2 before you can get a good contract.
3) You will find there are very slow parts of the year. YOu will need savings to survive these slow times.

In short my advice is- if you are carrying debts, forget it. You won't be able to service your debts on what you will earn.
If however you come over with some savings (2000 pounds or more)to tide you over bad times, and are prepared to rent a room (habitacion) as opposed to expecting to be able to afford a whole flat to yourself, you should be ok.
One useful tip (which I wish I had done myself). You can learn a new language yourself at one of many budget language schools in Madrid. A daily 1 and a half hour 'intensive' course can cost as little as 60 Euros for a month. Alternatively, if you were to pay more and take a computing course (you will need to already have a good knowledge of Spanish) you will then have an extra notch on your skillset.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

PS It seems 5 times easier to get work in Madrid than in Barcelona. Too many beach-seeker expats settling there I suppose and clogging up the market..

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2064 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments