Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41733 - 04/15/04 06:19 PM Moving to Zaragoza
Waterboy Offline

Loc: Kansas
I will be moving to Zaragoza at the end of August and have many questions. I have been able to find some helpful info, but am looking to talk to someone with some expertise. I am getting married 2 weeks before I move and am wondering if my fiance should change her name before we apply for visas. Also, how much trouble is it going to be to get a one year students visa for me and a work visa for her. We are not planning on moving much other than clothes, should we look for a furnished apartment? I am interested if someone is available to discuss general moving to Spain temporarily issues and/or information on Zaragoza itself. FInally, what job opportunities will there be for an American in Zaragoza who will only be there for a year? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

#41734 - 04/15/04 06:37 PM Re: Moving to Zaragoza
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Waterboy!
First, to get a student´s visa you only have to 1st enroll in a university and pay their big-fees to participate in their $tudy-abroad program.
Next, your then-wife will NOT be able to apply for a work visa unless she has already been offered a job by a specific company for a specific job. This is particularly difficult and nearly impossible. She could most likely go to Spain as your spouse in some capacity, tagging along with you on your student visa (assuming she won´t be a student) but then won´t legally be able to work.

So really, in short, if your wife isn´t offered a job by a Spanish company BEFORE arriving in Spain she won´t be able to get a work visa. And you should start looking for study abroad programs now and prepare to pay. You won´t be able to work either while there so imagine the two of you there on only your savings for a year. Yikes. eek

Best of luck to you. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41735 - 04/16/04 10:35 AM Re: Moving to Zaragoza
Waterboy Offline

Loc: Kansas
Thanks for the bad news Madridman! My only hope is that this is an intensive grad program through MIT that is sponsored (even some full rides) through local SPanish government. We'll see what happens but its good to know.

Also, will my wife still have to get her own visa and when should she change her name?

#41736 - 04/27/04 06:32 PM Re: Moving to Zaragoza
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
To stay for a year, your wife will need some sort of visa. I don't know for sure if she can "piggyback" your student visa.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2744 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments