Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40851 - 02/06/02 02:42 AM Living/Working in Madrid
markn Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hi everyone,
I already sent an e-mail to missmadrid98 on this subject, but I wanted to get it out on the board also.
My daghter lives in Madrid with her mother, my ex-wife, who is a Spanish National. I was wondering if I would be able to get some special type of visa since my daughter lives there. Also, I don't have any experience in teaching English and I don't have any certificate either. I have 3 years of college, but not in the teaching field. Would I still be able to get a teaching job in Madrid? Would there be any other types of jobs I could get or is teaching English the best bet for someone just starting out there? I am currently working in the Aviation field as an Aircraft Dispatcher. I will respond to any e-mails on this subject.
Thanks.
markn

#40852 - 02/06/02 07:35 AM Re: Living/Working in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi markn! Welcome to the group.
Sounds like you're in a tough situation. While I could very well be wrong, I don't think you qualify for any kind of special visa to live/work in Spain just because your daughter lives there, and especially since you're no longer married to her mother. (any chance to "make up"? wink ) Still, you might contact US Embassy in Madrid and see what they say (if they reply).

Again, I'm only going on educated guesses here, but your best bet probably WOULD be teaching English and that would be "under the counter" too so you wouldn't likely be making a living wage AND you'd be stuck. Check out www.ExpatriateCafe.com for information on "Americans" working in Spain as teachers and their chances to do such.

As for other jobs you might be able to do, I'd say your chances are "slim-to-none" of getting those jobs. They're even lower-paying than those as illegal teachers and most of THOSE jobs are filled by (I'm generalizing/guessing here) Spanish-speaking illegal aliens from Latin America these days. If you speak Spanish it will help too.

Good luck to you! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40853 - 02/06/02 05:31 PM Re: Living/Working in Madrid
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Markn, how old is your daughter? If she's a minor and dependent on you for her support, maybe there's a way for you to live there legally. Just a thought. But if you're not employed, I don't know. It seems horrible to separate a father and daughter just because Dad doesn't have the right paperwork.

Best of luck!

#40854 - 02/06/02 06:22 PM Re: Living/Working in Madrid
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi Markn, I teach English in Madrid. What I can tell you is that Native speakers are in high demand here in Spain.

With a little effort, you should be able to find some teaching jobs. I am constantly surprised at how willing academies are willing to hire natives regardless of experience (operative word being native). As MM so rightfully pointed out, without a certificate and without legal papers, you jobs will be the lower paying ones (in the ball park of 9 Euros to 12 Euros an hour). However, there are many certificates that are available. CELTA is the most valued one here in Spain and will cost you approx. $1,500 for a 4 week course. The TEFL is also popular.

Not sure when you are planning to come over, but you might want to look into getting certified in the states (you can also get certified here in Spain or take some sort of course online). While the certification isn´t necessary to land a teaching job here, it may help you get the better paying jobs since you don´t have a 4yr. degree.

Feel free to drop me a note if you have any other questions!!

Good luck!
Chica

#40855 - 02/06/02 06:55 PM Re: Living/Working in Madrid
markn Offline

MM, Chica, and taravb,
Thanks to all for answering some of my questions. I will try to answer some of yours right now. I do speak Spanish, rather well I might add. I spent 12 years in Spain during my U.S. Air Force career, hence the Spanish wife (ex-wife). My daughter will be 11 years old in March 2002, that's why I'm going over there, to surprise her for her birthday. I talk with her on the phone regularly and I visit her in Madrid 1-2 times a year, work permitting. I have a very good relationship with my ex-wife and all her family. I stay with them when I visit.
Anyway, if anyone is in Madrid between March 5-13, 2002, or knows anyone in Madrid who I could talk with about getting my search started. I am only going over there on vacation now, but I can search during the day while my daughter is in school and maybe line something up for the summer of 2002. Thanks again to everyone.
markn

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#40856 - 02/10/02 06:49 AM Re: Living/Working in Madrid
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I know this may sound far-fetched, but you could try to obtain a Residence Visa to Reunite a Family
Go the Spanish Consulat's VISA PAGE to read up on the SEVERAL different visas you could apply for.

Like Chica said, if your daughter is a minor and her Spanish mother doesn't make enough money to support her...or conversely, if your daughter was older and YOU needed her support, you could apply. Check the site above for all your options. I think you have a good shot, believe it or not.

Tracy

#40857 - 02/12/02 06:14 PM Re: Living/Working in Madrid
markn Offline

Tracy,
Thanks for the help on the visa situation. I will difinately check out that website. I think I mentioned it before, my daughter will be 11 years old in March. I do send child support checks over there from USA, so I imagine that could be considered as partial support at least. I will be checking into some job possibilities while I am there. Thanks again.
Mark

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1609 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments