Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40590 - 05/10/01 04:59 PM working and studying in Madrid
magritte30 Offline

Loc: Mexico
Hi, I´m a mexican Psychologist and I´ve been accepted at the Universidad Complutense of Madrid to study a master. I´m planning to stay for two years, and I will need to work to cover my expenses.I don´t mind waitressing or doing any kind of job since I know I will be an illegal, do you have any suggestions?.(I´m fluent in English and my native langage is Spanish, I would like to take advantage of this).
Should I try to get an student visa?, my master doesn´t cover the required hours of study to get one, so I was thinking on getting a visitors one, what do you recommend?.
Sorry for making so many questions, but I really would appreciate your advise.

#40591 - 05/10/01 07:01 PM Re: working and studying in Madrid
sandyvi Offline

Loc: ireland
Hey!
I think yoy should deffintly get a visa..doont come illegaly becasue you be deported. Its very hard to get work in Madrid. That is the same college I will hopefully attend soon. Many of my friends will go there, so that wil b cool.
good luck,
Sandyvi

#40592 - 05/11/01 12:59 PM Re: working and studying in Madrid
magritte30 Offline

Thanks for the advise Sandyvy, I hope we can meet each other at the Complutense!.
I wasn´t talking about coming without visa at all, I just wanted to know if it would´t be too much of a problem if it was a visitor's visa instead of a student´s one.
I´m worried about what you said regarding to finding a job, is it really that hard???.
I don´t think I´ll have the means to stay two years without any income!!!

#40593 - 05/11/01 05:05 PM Re: working and studying in Madrid
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Hi Magritte: The advice Sandy gave you is good advice. If it were less of a stay here (I live in Madrid) I would say just wing it but 2 years is a loooong time to be illegal, especially with the recently passed immigration laws. They are not likely to throw you out but it is not worth risking your studies. I have an American friend here who has been illegal forever and nobody has cared but the problem is sometimes in your nationality and "look". No offense but I have seen the police stop Latin Americans and ask them for their "papers", it is sad but true at times. So, try and get that visa. As for work, htere are soooo many Spaniards out of work and while your bilingualism will help, you should come with enough money to sit back on for at least 6 months while you look for part time work, I am sure you will find something. Teaching English is always an option for there are many jobs available (if you like that sort of thing). Good luck and keep in touch.
Jer... confused

#40594 - 05/11/01 06:03 PM Re: working and studying in Madrid
magritte30 Offline

Thanks Jer:

I´ve been thinking about what you said and maybe it would be a good idea to try to find a job before I go to Madrid. Do you know any language schools where I could apply?.
As for the looks I know what you are talking about, but since my grand grand parents came from Spain to Mexico I´m sure I can pass for any regular spanish girl.
How much money would be enough to survive for six months??

#40595 - 05/12/01 05:45 PM Re: working and studying in Madrid
sandyvi Offline

Loc: ireland
Hey! you can find anything from accomodation to jobs on this webpage: http://www.in-madrid.com/classifieds/default.htm

I hope it helps! Good Luck, Sandvi

[ 05-12-2001: Message edited by: sandyvi ]

#40596 - 05/14/01 01:06 PM Re: working and studying in Madrid
magritte30 Offline

The Tip was great!! I just sent my resumé to some English Schools, I hope I´m lucky and receive an offer. I don´t want to miss the opportunity to Study in Madrid!!!
Thinking about other possibilities, is it hard to find a job as a waitress??? or what about becoming an aupair???

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1434 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments