Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40289 - 08/20/00 11:14 PM JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
Alana Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
Help! I need a job and an apartment!!! I am currently looking in Madrid. I will be arriving there in October and I have searched the net and frankly, have found it quite frustrating. Please, please, please, if there are any web pages I have missed or phone numbers I can call, it would be greatly appreciated information. Just to let you know, I am a student and hope to move to Madrid for three months. While I am there I would like to work in a restaurant (for example) and rent a CHEAP place in an 'ok' area for this time. This is all in hopes to increase my knowledge of Spanish and the culture. Any information is helpful.
Thanks, Alana

#40290 - 08/20/00 11:33 PM Re: JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Alana! The question is, WHO DOESN'T want a job and cheap lodging in Madrid?

You may have "searched the 'net", but you haven't searched here yet. You've come to the right place! I have some great suggestions for you that will likely help you with your search.

Suggestions: Look through the threads in this forum for job ideas as well as in the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" forum for places to stay -- there are several apartment-related threads there.

Alana, the answers to your questions are most likely already here. You just have to do a little looking. Use the SEARCH feature for archived messages that might not be visible (because they're more than 30 days old). Best of luck!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 08-20-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40291 - 08/22/00 08:06 AM Re: JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
rhonda Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Alana,
You could try searching on this website... www.segundamano.es . Of course it is in Spanish.
I think it will be hard to try to find an apartment before you get here. But I have never tried this, so who knows. But I know at this time last year i started looking for an apartment in Madrid(from Madrid) and I didnīt find one until the middle of October.....pero bueno, maybe you will have better luck! Or at least I hope so!

MADRIDMAN... I love your site... exactly what kind of IT work do you do? I work for an IT company... not sure if you are still interested in working in Madrid, but drop me an email and I can tell you more about my company, how i got here, etc. I'm Canadian and have been working here for a year now... and loving it incredibly....
Hasta hora,
Rhonda

[This message has been edited by rhonda (edited 08-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by rhonda (edited 08-22-2000).]

#40292 - 08/22/00 08:20 AM Re: JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Oooooooohh.... Maybe we should RE-visit the thread "Should MadridMan go work in Spain?".

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#40293 - 08/31/00 02:44 PM Re: JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
twolf21 Offline

Hi Alana,
I'm in the same boat as you. I will also be looking for an apartment in Madrid begining October. I spent 4 months there before the summer, and am psyched to get back. I have a couple of suggetsions for the apartment search, there are two english language publications in Madrid that you should check out; "In Madrid", "The Broadsheet" nad the spanisgh publication "segundo Mano' which Rhonda mentioned. I have also spent a considerable amount of time searching the net, but I think I'll have the most luck when I get to Madrid. Plaese, if you hear of anything let me know. Good luck.

#40294 - 09/02/00 03:39 AM Re: JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
cjl Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'll be joining a tech company in Tres Cantos just outside of Madrid, but am looking for a real estate agent in the city that can help me find a place to purchase. If anyone has seen some sites or has a personal recommendation, please let me know.

cjl

#40295 - 09/02/00 10:19 AM Re: JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
Angela Offline

Where are you looking to buy, in Madrid, or in Tres Cantos?

#40296 - 09/02/00 01:52 PM Re: JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
cjl Offline

Angela,

Definitely in Madrid! I live now in the center of Amsterdam and am hooked on urban life. Can't stand living outside the city or in small towns. I realize the commute to Tres Cantos is not a fun one, but I'll suffer.

Do you have any recommendations on parts of Madrid to look in? Or a trusted real estate agent to use?

Thanks,
cjl

#40297 - 09/05/00 05:44 PM Re: JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
Angela Offline

The north area of Madrid, for sure. I'm thinking El Viso, Maria de Molina, Castellana, Arturo Soria.
This areas are normally very expensive.
But if I was you, I would give Tres Cantos a chance. It's a very nice place to live. It has a population of over 35,000, and because it was built from scratch about 18 years ago, and most people moved there from Madrid, it has a Madrid feeling.
Yes, I know, I love Tres Cantos (I still own a four bedroom flat there).

#40298 - 09/06/00 05:31 AM Re: JOBS/ LIVING (Madrid)
cjl Offline

Angela,

May I ask what you paid for your 4 bedroom per square meter? (and when you bought it?)

Expensive is relative and several Madrid natives have told me that the city is actually inexpensive when comparing the square meter price to London and Amsterdam.

I intend to look around a bit before buying and appreciate greatly your insight! The North of Madrid is a unanimous choice and Castellana has been mentioned by everyone else, too!

Muchas gracias!!
cjl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2728 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments