Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#40303 - 08/27/00 04:57 PM i want to go now
jaymac Offline

Loc: Hatfield, PA United States
i want to up and go to Spain right now. i don't like waiting and want an adventure. a couple questions. foreigners in america only have to be out of the country 24 hours before they have another three months on their passport/visa. is that the same for spain and other euro-countries? also, a big reason i'm going is to learn the language. i had three years in high school and a year in college, but you know how much you really learn in a class. so i have a very base knowledge. am i going to have a hard time finding a job(under the table)and getting around without knowing the language fluently?
also, what is the exchange rate?
thank you,
jason mccarty

#40304 - 08/27/00 06:43 PM Re: i want to go now
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Exchange rate hit 185 ptas per dollar! not that you will get it in a bank, but still. wow! People who plan to go to Spain as a tourist and work under the table don't worry about how long they can be there! I think it is a YEAR without a visa, no? The work you will find most readily is teaching English at one of the zillion academias/institutos. Or working for someone you know. suerte!

#40305 - 08/27/00 08:57 PM Re: i want to go now
jaymac Offline

the embassy said that i could only be there 90 days on just a passport. will i get caught if i'm there longer, or is it not that strict. also, someone please answer my question about the 24 hour rule.
thanks,
jason

#40306 - 08/27/00 09:43 PM Re: i want to go now
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
call the SPANISH consulate for the information-- sounds like you want the accurate version (as opposed to what we all might think we know on this board!). Ask them about the 24 hour thing, too. Nothing easier than to hop to Portugal or France from Spain!

#40307 - 08/28/00 01:52 PM Re: i want to go now
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
yes, it is 90 days til the visa runs out. When I was a student, after 90 days we were supposed to go register w/ the local police to tell them that we were sill there, but I never did this. Although I would not recommend this, and I'm sure that in no way does MM endorse such behavior either, I never had a problem. Perhaps there was no problem b/c I never got arrested. But I doubt they will come looking for you. I think that without a strong command of the language, work will be a bit difficult to find. Good luck and get going on that adventure!

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 08-28-2000).]

#40308 - 08/28/00 06:38 PM Re: i want to go now
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
I don't know much about visas but I think when you arrive at Spain you get a visa for all the Schengen countries. Portugal, France and Spain are members of the Schengen treaty so, in a way, traveling to those countries is the same as if you were staying in Spain.

But I'm sure the Spanish Embassy will be the best source of information about the subject.

Regards,

Antonio

#40309 - 08/28/00 08:48 PM Re: i want to go now
jaymac Offline

thanks for the info. i stil have to call the embassy, but i'm going anyway. i just bought a ticket through Council Travel, which if you are under 26 is the best way to go. i got a round trip ticket for 580 dollars, leaving next friday. you buy a membership card for 22 dollars and get great rates on airfares. i can also change the return date while i'm over there for only 25 dollars for up to a year. that's cheap. they also give you some small insurances on certain things. all for 22 dollars. it's mainly for students but also for recent graduates. i couldn't get a student card, i had to get a GO-25 card, they call it, and it gives almost all the benefits as the student one minus some stuff. hope i find a job!!!
adios,
jason

[This message has been edited by jaymac (edited 08-28-2000).]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2429 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments