Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#84909 - 07/20/09 12:59 PM Best savings account?
nsmyth11 Offline

Hey

As I'm moving to Spain for 9 months, I'll need to open a bank account for my monthly wages. I'm 21, so may be eligible for a young persons savings account if there is such a thing and I won't be making any international payments or transfers.

Does anyone have any advice on the best account to get?

#84949 - 07/26/09 01:58 PM Re: Best savings account? [Re: nsmyth11]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Simple, unless your fluent in Spanish find a bank with an English website and helpline. Deutsche Bank and Barclay both come to mind.

Also you'll need to open a non resident account (which doesn't mean much)

#84951 - 07/26/09 06:59 PM Re: Best savings account? [Re: Rob in Madrid]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I opened an account with BBVA ( A huge bank here in Spain ) and they asked for no evidence of cash . I think I deposited €200 and showed them my passport . That was it ! I didn´t have a job , no contract for my apartment ... nothing !
steve

#84952 - 07/26/09 07:31 PM Re: Best savings account? [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Opening a bank account for non-residents is a lot easier now than it used to be. As long as you have a local address where you can receive mail, a passport, and can deposit some cash I think you can do it. If you don't speak any Spanish yet, you may have to go to the bank one day, tell them you need an English-speaking associate/worker, and you they can probably arrange one - or they'll send you to another office. OR, take a Spanish friend with you and they can translate for you.

When I first opened my first Spanish bank account, in 1997, I really couldn't do it but a Spanish friend - who had a friend at the bank - vouched for me and that was that.

I have a La Caixa bank account now with internet access. Therein you have an English or Spanish version option.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84979 - 07/29/09 12:23 PM Re: Best savings account? [Re: MadridMan]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

one interesting thing about Spanish bank accounts is the debt card is actually a Visa card, while you can't carry a balance you use it online the same as a visa card.

#85211 - 09/01/09 03:32 AM Re: Best savings account? [Re: Rob in Madrid]
jmp110372 Offline

Just opened an account at Citibank here in Madrid as a non resident and just needed a letter from my employer stating I was in the process of getting a work Visa. Good thing about Citibank Spain is that they do transfers to your Citibank account in the US from Euros to US$'s for free if you do it online.

#85218 - 09/01/09 03:23 PM Re: Best savings account? [Re: jmp110372]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

jmp, I have both a current account and a savings account with ING in Spain. They also do free international bank transfers :-)

#85219 - 09/02/09 03:47 AM Re: Best savings account? [Re: Daniel-Madrid]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Daniel-Madrid, does INGdirect.es (Spain) do free international bank transfers ONLY between worldwide ING bank accounts or also from ING account to any other bank account?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#85220 - 09/02/09 05:34 AM Re: Best savings account? [Re: MadridMan]
Daniel-Madrid Offline

nope, free international transfers to any bank. i've done a transfer to the bank Abbey National in the UK loads of times for free.

The only thing you need is the BIC code and the IBAN number for your foreign account.

Edited by Daniel-Madrid (09/02/09 10:01 AM)
Edit Reason: fixed my bad spelling - i clearly have fat fingers :-S

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1642 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments