Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#42326 - 08/04/05 05:44 PM Visa question - I'm SO worried
callet Offline

Hello guys!

This is my situation.

In August 2004, I applied for a Spanish student visa and got it. I stayed for the whole year until this June 2005. Now, I want to go back again on August 18th. Do I need to get a tourist visa for this and re-do the whole process? I live in the US.

Thanks in advance!

Don

#42327 - 08/04/05 06:18 PM Re: Visa question - I'm SO worried
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I'm assuming the student visa you got the first time was for a year and you were legal the entire time..... but as far as I know, I dont think that there is any reason you couldnt go back for a vist in August just as a tourist. Obviously you would be under the time restraints etc of the normal tourist using a passport. That is the situation as far as I understand it, but if you wanna be sure, why not call the consolate and ask.

#42328 - 08/04/05 06:20 PM Re: Visa question - I'm SO worried
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
If you let your student visa expire, then you would need to reapply for a new student visa (if you were going to study) or enter on a tourist visa (good for 90 days).

If your student visa is still in effect, then you can extend it as long as you meet the same criteria that you met the first time--full time course load, have health insurance and adequate funds in a Spanish bank--and you can prove that you attended and passed your classes in the previous year.

#42329 - 08/04/05 08:41 PM Re: Visa question - I'm SO worried
callet Offline

Thanks for the responses guys

If I go to Spain with just my ticket and no tourist visa, will they let me in? Because I'm leaving on the 18th and getting a visa now would be too late, and I dont want to cancel my flight ...

#42330 - 08/04/05 09:15 PM Re: Visa question - I'm SO worried
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
You don't need a visa to enter as a tourist. Being from the USA, all you need is a passport to enter any Schengen country..that means EU, that means Spain, France Portugal, UK etc.

You then have a total of 90 days. Then you have to leave the EU. Bye, Bye...

#42331 - 08/04/05 09:22 PM Re: Visa question - I'm SO worried
callet Offline

If you dont need a visa to enter as a tourist, then why are there so many people who are getting tourist visas to Spain?

#42332 - 08/04/05 09:25 PM Re: Visa question - I'm SO worried
callet Offline

According to http://www.spainconsul-ny.org ....

US citizens with ordinary passports, valid for a minimum of 6 months, who wish to stay in Spain for tourist or business purposes for up to 90 days DO NOT NEED A VISA.

There we go!

#42333 - 05/04/06 01:27 PM Re: Visa question - I'm SO worried
Irlandés Offline

Loc: Dublin
Just to clarify the post about the Schengen area:

The EU Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Netherlands, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

Norway and Iceland, which are not members of the EU, are part of the Schengen agreement.

Ireland and the UK, although EU members, are not Schengen countries.

#42334 - 05/04/06 10:03 PM Re: Visa question - I'm SO worried
CJA Offline

Loc: California
Yep, 90 days is right. I went last year, and I am leaving next month...both times I'm staying just shy of 3 months..
So anything short of 90 days = don't worry about the visa

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1859 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments