Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41836 - 06/03/04 01:34 AM Madrid Job Search Tips?
nita601 Offline

Loc: NY
Hi everyone,

I spent Sept 2002-Aug 2003 living and working in Madrid as part of a study abroad program while i was in university. I graduated this past month (woo hoo) and suddenly have been finding myself to be longing to go back there. I was wondering if any of you would have any tips as to where i could start a job search for positions in Madrid. I have decent apartment connections and a few friends left over there so the job factor is the only hting i'm missing. I do have corporate work experience in Spain, which will hopefully help me out. Anyhow, any suggestions or advice would be great.... thanks

#41837 - 06/03/04 08:35 AM Re: Madrid Job Search Tips?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Use job search web pages as Infojobs, Infoempleo, Monsters,... (you will find their web address if you search in these forums).

But the best chance to find a job in Spain for a United Statesen is, in my opinion, to work for a multinational and ask to move to their offices in Spain.

That have two desirable side effects: Your wages are as high as in the USA (though you will live in a cheaper country), and you will have pluses for moving here.

Fernando

#41838 - 06/03/04 09:13 AM Re: Madrid Job Search Tips?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Fernando wrote:
Quote:
But the best chance to find a job in Spain for a United Statesen is, in my opinion, to work for a multinational and ask to move to their offices in Spain.
People always recommend/suggest that idea to me too but the truth is you usually have to work for that company for years before reaching a level that you would be offered that possibility (to move to the Madrid office, for example). Also, I've been told that most multinational companies (based/founded in the USA) are mainly, almost totally staffed by locals so that there are no difficulties with visas or expecting high(er) wages as they would be paid in the USA.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#41839 - 06/03/04 10:18 AM Re: Madrid Job Search Tips?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Ummm, I don't know if it is the same here than in other countries, but some multinationals (specially consultancies) send their most junior workers abroad, while senior workers can choose to stay here or to choose a specific destination.

It is true that multinational in Spain have their staffs plenty of spaniards with foeigners being a small minority (it depends on the company), but I still think that it is a good chance.

Perhaps working for US Government is another way to come here. We have a handful US military bases here (Rota, Morón,...) and comercial cooperation is quite extended.

Let's be imaginative us all so we can think of ways to find a job in Spain smile (me included!). You could post some tips on how to find a job in the US in exchange! I wouldn't mind to work for a year or two in USA.

Fernando

#41840 - 06/07/04 01:05 AM Re: Madrid Job Search Tips?
nita601 Offline

Loc: NY
Thanks for the advice so far...

I'm hoping to eventually get a job with a multinational, but being a recent college grad, the opportunity to go overseas in a multi isn't immediate - like one of you mentioned. Usually it takes a few years to transfer. I'm browsing the websites you suggested (infoempleo, etc..) to see what I can find, and thought of perhaps contacting the American Chamber of Commerce to see if they had any advice. I am legal to live and work in the EU, so hopefully this would make the process a bit easier.

As far as jobs in the US - there are obvious websites to look at (monster, hotjobs, and careerbuilder) but I also have found craigslist.org to be a good resource. You can select the area of the US you are looking for and they have forums for lots of different products, services, jobs, and message boards.
Buena suerte, and if you have any more advice, let me know!

#41841 - 06/07/04 04:41 AM Re: Madrid Job Search Tips?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Fernando, what kind of job would you look for in the USA? What is your background/experience?

To look for a job here in Spain, another option would be to identify the multinationals that are here and apply directly to them for positions. Nita601 I would be sure to highlight the fact that you are EU employable on all cover letters and highlight the language skills as well. Another route would be to go through a temp agency.

However, I am sure that you will find that as we enter into the summer months, the hiring and processing of CVs slows down a lot!.

Good luck!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1851 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments