Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#41053 - 05/19/02 02:51 AM Living in Spain
El Cid d'España Offline

How long can one live in Spain in order to officially become a Spanish citizen?

#41054 - 05/19/02 11:40 AM Re: Living in Spain
Espe3 Offline

You need to give more information.
If you are the child of a spanish national of orign (spanish citizen from birth-even if they became a naturalized citizen in a different country when they were older) then, after living in spain LEGALLY one year, then you can get spanish nationality.

If you are not the child of a spanish national of orign, you will have to live first as a foreigner, LEGALLY in spain for 10 years, and then you can get spanish citizenship.

Either way, the ways they consider legal are very specific. Without knowing more about your situation, I could go on about it and it may or may not be useful.

Good luck!

I edited my post until further information! I have to doublecheck on the grandchild part! I'll see what I can find out!

#41055 - 05/19/02 06:13 PM Re: Living in Spain
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Espe3, I have a quick question too. My four grandparents were born in Spain, and they emigrated to the States in the early 1900's. I did not think I could get citizenship. I thought you had to have spanish PARENTS. Was I misinformed? What can I do? I would love to get Spanish citizenship if possible. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. recuerdos, Esperanza ( the other one!)
smile

#41056 - 05/20/02 04:37 PM Re: Living in Spain
Espe3 Offline

Esperanza! Well hello! smile I just re-read my previous post. The grandchild thing pertains to getting work, but I have to double check on the citizenship thing! Good catch! Sorry, but to give you some more information read on! Well, yes, it could be that you were mis informed, kinda... I'll need more details. You said your Grandparents were from there, right? So your parents are 1 generation american citizens?
I'd have to look into it. To WORK in Spain now, grandchildren or children of Spanish nationals of orign SUPPOSEDLY have the same rights as any other spaniard seeking work. That's fairly new, and hasn't really caught on yet, but it is possible, especially if you know someone with a business. That and hire a lawyer and they should be able to make it work!

Regarding asking for Spanish Citizenship:
as far as I know, one of your parents has to be a spanish national of origin. Here I'm not sure if the grandchild thing would work for this or not. I may have some paperwork at home that may tell me, I'll check for you. If it doesn't, you may be out of luck, but not really. Kinda long, so be ready. Technically, if your parents are originally from spain, no matter where they may have moved to or if they have taken up another nationality, they are ALWAYS spanish. But ONLY IF they didn't give up their spanish nationality, and to do this, in the eyes of the spanish government, they have to go to a consulate or spanish authority and inform them that they have renounced their spanish citizenship. And, technically, if your parents are spanish of origin, even if you were born outside of spain, well, it gets passed onto you( and so on and so forth- apply this to parents being your grandparents, and you being your parents, and see where that puts you. If your parents are spanish, then technically, so are you). Here is where it gets very grey.... if they resigtered you at the consulate, or in spain, that's good- less complicated. If not... well, that's a tough one. The more distant your ties get from spain, the harder it gets. Being american or half american is even worse because we don't have the advantages of Spains other colonies, as many of the Latin American countries have agreements with Spain and they can opt for spanish nationality by other means. We don't frown So, if your parents were born and/or raised here any may have been as american citizens, it could be that you do not have this option. On the upside, if you got work there using the grandchild rule, then you'll also eventually get a permiso de residencia indefinida, and with that, you wouldn't need spanish citizenship- but if you did, well, you have to wait 10 years to apply for it. (so unless you want to move there, pretty much for good...)

HOWEVER, if your parents are spanish citizens, you only have to live there legally for 1 year and then you can apply for spanish citizenship. You should know though, that by doing this, you have to give up your American.

Things are also a bit more complicated if they are, but never registered you in the family book and depending on your age etc. If they didn't but they are spanish, hire a lawyer! It will save you some sanity and probably a few years of running around, like I've had to do!

Let me know if I've confused you enough, or if you have more questions! smile

#41057 - 05/20/02 06:32 PM Re: Living in Spain
El Cid d'España Offline

You all have provided me with more info than I hoped to get. I suspected it was 10 years that was needed. I wonder if they'll lower the years to 5 years due to my Spanish last name. :o

Gracias!

#41058 - 05/21/02 10:18 AM Re: Living in Spain
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I went to high school in Florida and insisted that it was a 'pais iberoamericano' with the immigration folks here, hence I could apply for a passport. They were amused. It didn't work. frown

#41059 - 05/21/02 10:39 AM Re: Living in Spain
Espe3 Offline

Aster- but it was worth a shot! I have just sent a letter to the consulate and am waiting for my lawyer to tell me what to do next. I'm leaving everything in his hands now. Let's see how long this takes! I am currently waiting to receive papers from the Am. government, and will then have to send them to the lawyer in spain. So far the my biggest hurdle seems to be the trouble I'm having getting registered with the spanish authorities... please, I'm going to ask people who see my messages to pray, cross your fingers, or whatever good luck thing you have that my papers FINALLY get straightened out! And SOON! And I can be on my way! smile 7 years (coming up on 8) I think is long enough!!!!!!!!!! :p

#41060 - 05/23/02 08:39 AM Re: Living in Spain
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Espe3, Thanks for your reply. After reading it though I don't think I can get the citizenship frown My parents were born in the States and were American citizens. I don't think they were ever registered in the Spanish Consulate here in NY. I had a feeling it would be too far-fetched! If, by chance, you find out anything else about grandchildren, please let me know. Good luck to you...I hope things work out soon. smile

#41061 - 05/24/02 10:49 AM Re: Living in Spain
Espe3 Offline

This just in! Changes in laws regarding Nationality and residency:

Los nietos de emigrantes podran obtener la condicion de espanol. El pleno del congreso aprobo ayer, con los votos a favor de PP, CC y CIU, la reforma del codigo Civil en materia de nacionalidad , que permitira a los nietos de los emigrantes obtener la condicion de espanol tras haber residido en Espana durante al menos un ano. Esta reforma, que conto con la abstencion de PSOE, PNV y grupo Misto y el voto en contra de IU, facilitara tambien el acceso de la nacionalidad a los hijos de espanoles, sin limite alguno de edad, que vivan en el extranjero y quieran optar a la nacionalidad desde su pais de residencia. Se permitira tambien que los descendientes de espanoles que residan en el extranjero puedan seguir teniendo esta condicion si certifican que querien conservar la nacionalidad espanola a los tres anos de haber obtenido la del pais donde viven. (agencia EFE)

This from the newspaper Metro, the free paper they handout in the metro! smile One step closer! smile Esperanza, being that you're a grandchild, this may help you! Its worth looking into!

#41062 - 07/04/02 12:53 PM Re: Living in Spain
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

I have been talking to my husband about the possibility of REALLY getting Spanish citizenship and after reading that blurb from the Metro paper it sounds like it CAN happen. Now I have to figure out a way to live in Spain for a year. I need ideas! Can you travel back and forth from the States to Spain in that year, or do you have to prove that you have not left Spanish territory? My husband is trying to tell me that establishing residency for the year doesn't mean you can't leave ( for a vacation ?).
Could I go to Spain in June, July, August, come backto NY to teach in Sept. ,go for a long weekend in Thanksgiving, go for 2 weeks at Xmas, long weekend in Feb, 2 weeks in March, long weekend in April and back for the summer...sounds expensive frown but maybe I could pull it off.
The other option would be to try and take a sabattical (also an expensive option) and have my daughters come to Spain for a year and go to school I LOVE that option yet it seems quite difficult to pull off. My husband would have to stay in NY because of his job frown
This has really gotten me thinking and I would love to know if anyone knows more about the SPECIFICS...what is RESIDENCY? Can you come and go or do you have to stay put?
Thanks for your ideas! Esperanza smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1943 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments