We've visited Spain twice and had a pickpocket attempt each time. Never had one anywhere else. Neither was violent or successful, and I don't feel "threatened" or paranoid.

Here are the details, for those who care.

First time we were, alas, leaving Madrid (but for Granada, yum). We got on the metro with full packs. Small dark man waved me on first. Well, that's nice, since that way I could get my pack against a wall and be less prone to swinging it into people. Then he got on. Then Mike and another small dark man got on--and the man accidentally scuffed dust onto the ankle of Mike's pants. He crouched in the open metro door to dust off Mike's pants, with Mike saying "no, no, no problem, don't bother". After a minute Mike felt a sharp pinch in his front pocket where he keeps his wallet. The first guy was trying to coax the wallet out, with the inconvenience of a rather friction-y wallet and the backpack's bulk in the way. Mike yelled, they took off out the open door, we stayed on. Mike was upset at the fact that these guys "won" in the sense that there was no cost to them.

Second time was in Puerto del Sol, during the Gay Pride parade, June 28, 2003. It was very crowded. Somebody grabbed his ankle. Mike thought "I've seen this before" and pushed the guy at his ankle and grabbed at the hand in his back pocket, which was easing out Mike's passport. Once again, the pair got away, but with nothing.

Next day Mike went with a friend to El Rastro. He took a hotel card and some cash in a front pocket: no wallet, no ID, nothing. I said if Anything Happened, the police would call the small hotel (Hostal Jaén) and the charming proprieters would help straighten things out. If I'd been thinking, I'd have suggested taking the photocopy of his passport for ID. But of course nothing happened.

So--if anyone grabs your ankle, for any reason, be alert. Maybe someday we will have the mustard trick or something more elaborate pulled on us.

Based on very few data points, I think women with men get targetted less than men. Maybe we don't usually carry wallets (although I do) on our bodies. Maybe they have rummaged through my daypack/purse and found only pens, maps, and kleenex, so I've never known. Maybe that's why I couldn't find that map/pen/scrap of paper later! Maybe women go on high alert more when strange men grab any part of the woman.