Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37427 - 05/03/01 02:51 AM Madrid Mugging April 30, 2001
Carol Offline

My husband and I were attacked from behind by a group of five men, in daylight with several nearby witnesses, on a sidewalk in Madrid on Monday, April 30. We were each brought to the ground and choked repeatedly by four of the guys, while a fifth drew a large knife and cut my husband's wallet out of his clothes. We both sustained numerous injuries and he lost his wallet and I my purse which contained only a camera and a few pesetas. We never have experienced violent crime in Europe before but some of the witnesses to the incident told us that it happens daily in Madrid, regardless of the time of day or the number of people present.They told us that the attackers were not Gypsies but "Moros". The police took a report but seemed pretty unconcerned in general, and never inquired about our physical injuries. The modus operandi seems to be for individual gang members to stand here and there, inconspicuously until a likely target appears. Then the leader calls out a signal to the others and they all converge running from different spots to tackle the victims from the rear, frighten them with chokeholds, knives and beating, and then to "liberate" any valuables, hidden or not. The locals said that the last two years have seen a big increase in violent crime in Madrid. We sadly ended our trip after this incident, feeling no longer in much of a holiday mood. This had been our third trip to Spain. We will think long and hard about returning again.

#37428 - 05/03/01 06:34 AM Re: Madrid Mugging April 30, 2001
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Wow! That's scary. I have read about bands of Moroccans or Algerians doing this sort of thing but so far I have been lucky enough to stay out of harms way. Where in Madrid did this incident happen?
You say the Police seemed unconcerned: it's the European Police way - act professionally and keep calm while they collect the facts. They are probably doing their best to catch the 'bad guys.' mad

#37429 - 05/03/01 07:02 AM Re: Madrid Mugging April 30, 2001
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm so sorry to hear about your bad luck. frown But yes, it's true, there is some form of violent crime in Madrid everyday (but just as there is in Paris, Rome, and London at a much higher degree). You just had some very bad luck and I'm sorry for this.

Have you read the very long thread entitled, " Pickpockets in Madrid (an email) "? There you'll read LOTS of stories similar to your own -- but I know that won't make you feel any better about your experience.

Again, sorry to hear of your BUSTed trip to Madrid. Unfortunately these things really do happen, but luckily only to a very very small percentage of travelers. frown

Sadly, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37430 - 05/03/01 11:29 AM Re: Madrid Mugging April 30, 2001
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
The incident you described is troubling because, there were witnesses that apparently offered no help... tolerance of this behavior only leads to more of it... If you are an American Express cardholder be sure to report the incident(send report) to them... Amex has an economic interest, as well as retailers in Spain, and will issue advisories that stifle travel to trouble spots... economics generally is more forceful than appealing to a change in social behavior... as with ANY big city crime is ongoing(read tolerated) please be safe and try to find some good memories from the trip...

#37431 - 05/03/01 11:42 AM Re: Madrid Mugging April 30, 2001
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
Carol, I am very sorry for you and your husband's ill fourtune in Madrid. Believe me I know of what you speak. I seen many low-lifes while in Madrid and had a run in or three with various skells & punks. My satisfaction came usually by my knowledge that no matter what they were'nt getting much from me even if attacked as you were. I never had too much on me because I followed the advise of experienced travelers.This of course is no compensation for the feeling of a violent attack.It must've really broken your spirit.Again I offer my sympathy to you both.

#37432 - 05/07/01 01:39 AM Re: Madrid Mugging April 30, 2001
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
carol--i am so sorry for your horrible experience in madrid.

i've resolved to carry my money in my underwear and very little of it with me.

i, like you, would have to see the end of my trip if someone took my money, a trip that i feel i've planned for for two years, so i can understand your devastation.

i hope you are now well. take care.

#37433 - 05/10/01 02:54 AM Re: Madrid Mugging April 30, 2001
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
i remeber seeing news reports on television there (way back in 96') that the muslim countries of north africa were annoyed at the presence of the spanish colonies in morrocco (sp?).

particularly, the report cited algeria and morrocco as being the countries NOT to travel within... the same report accounted for attacks on spanish citizens, priests and tourists alike, and claimed that an extended plan of some extremists was the eventual reclaiming of the lost territory of the western mecca Córdoba.

are these types of reports still being broudcast? i am surprised at the number of mugging reports here on this site...

in the past i have posted that i never had any trouble; but it's been a while since i was in spain. i will certainly be more cautious the next time i go there... what a bummer! frown

#37434 - 05/10/01 06:48 PM Re: Madrid Mugging April 30, 2001
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Well, I guess they are not very happy with having Spanish colonies (Ceuta and Melilla) within their countries, but I never heard of extremists planning to atack Spain.

What you problably saw on the TV was the extremist killing people in Algeria (journalists, politicians, and everyone who was not considered "to be friendly to their believings"). It's been a long time since I heard about massive killings (they were talking about them all the time a few years ago). Anyway, I don't think Algeria is nowadays a safe country to travel to.

#37435 - 05/12/01 07:53 PM Re: Madrid Mugging April 30, 2001
artMonster Offline

Loc: Madrid
I just read that story from Carol, that would turn off anyone from visiting Madrid. It is easy to be victimized by pickpockets (I was, on the Metro, but I caught the guy...I didn't catch the guy on the train in Portugal, unfortunately), but they are in all large cities...I have never seen violent muggings in Madrid like the one she experienced (but I have in Dallas, Los Angeles, etc.). I hope that is not a new trend. Madrid is much safer than most cities I have lived in, there will always be petty crime. I think the new regulations closing the bars earlier is problematic...the more people on the street at all hours the better...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3014 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments