Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37203 - 11/08/00 06:04 AM Is travelling solo safe?
phoebs Offline

Hi, I'm a 25yrs-woman.
I'm planning to travel spain in May,2001. My initerery is barcelona-granada-ronda-sevilla-lisboa-madrid(toledo). This is my first solo travel. Do you think I don't have to worry about safety? I'm an asian(not japanese), no discrimination?
Any advice would be appreciated. Gracias.

#37204 - 11/08/00 10:44 AM Re: Is travelling solo safe?
Ana Offline

Loc: Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
Hi phoebs, since you have brought this question to the forum and i have the same doubt, i´d like to know if for a 20years old woman, brasilian and by herself travelling in jan/feb is safe too.

Thanks

#37205 - 11/08/00 10:46 AM Re: Is travelling solo safe?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Hi chicas. Read about "safety" in the forum devoted to that (read all the posts from the past 'year') and you'll see that the consensus is.. SAFE, yes, absolutely. Hassle free? Not entirely. Single young women do tend to hear a lot of talk from men. Usually nothing more than that, and if ignored, "it" goes away. The usual warnings apply. Know your surroundings, do NOT get drunk and have to find your way back to lodgings in that condition alone, don't talk to folks if you want to discourage them, etc.

#37206 - 11/08/00 10:57 AM Re: Is travelling solo safe?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello ladies!

Expand the topics range to "SHOW ALL TOPICS" in this forum and you'll find a number of threads regarding traveling alone. One of the first (but not the only) ones I saw was " Woman traveling alone " and " Is Madrid safe for a woman alone?" . As for descrimination issues, you might want to look through the "About Spain" threads. Again, "SHOW ALL TOPICS". Might also want to use the SEARCH feature, use the word STARE (or PIROPO = "catcalls")as your keyword, and get lots of interesting threads in that forum.

In short, I seriously doubt you'll have any/many problems because you're women or of other nationalities.

Have fun in Madrid and Spain! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37207 - 11/09/00 06:11 AM Re: Is travelling solo safe?
phoebs Offline

Thanks all, I really appreciate!

#37208 - 02/28/01 12:57 PM Re: Is travelling solo safe?
artsage Offline

Hi, PHoebs, just wanted to find out how long your travel itinerary is to cover all those destinations? I'm trying to plan my own trip and don't know how much time to budget and your itinerary sounded very interesting! I am also traveling on my own at the end of March.

#37209 - 03/28/01 12:27 AM Re: Is travelling solo safe?
JASMINE Offline

Seville warning! Watch for women by the catedral who rush up to you to try to sell their rosemary plants for good luck,etc.
They want only "paper"money and are very insistent that you give them some.
This is a scam. Don't show them any money, tell them to "go away" and you "go away" from them!

#37210 - 03/28/01 08:47 AM Re: Is travelling solo safe?
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is also happens in Granada; a woman once stopped me, grabbed my hand and started reading my palm! My cousin in the meantime was given some rosemary for "good luck"... It all happened so quickly that when they asked us for money, we were shocked! Needless to say, we learned our lesson that day and steered clear of those women for the rest of our stay.
They are very sneaky!!!

SusiLaGallega

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1857 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments