Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#84792 - 07/07/09 04:20 PM beggars at ATM machines
karenr Offline

Loc: ohio
Ojo....Twice when I was at atm machines withdrawing money (Seville bus station & in Cadiz) a man walked up--right as I was making the transaction--to beg for money. Unbelievable. I used my finest profane Spanish vocabulary to chase them off. I wasn't afraid as much as I was angry at their nerve. It's one thing to sit on the street and beg but they raise it to a whole new level when they approach you at the atm!

#84793 - 07/08/09 02:40 AM Re: beggars at ATM machines [Re: karenr]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi karenr!
It's not at all comfortable when ANYONE comes near you when you're at an ATM. You feel so vulnerable! You wonder if A) they're going to grab the money and run as soon as it comes out the machine or B) look at your PIN number as you're keying it in, hoping to steal the card later.

I can't imagine they have very good luck begging at the ATMs but they may feel that sitting passively, waiting for someone to put something in their hands, doesn't make them enough money to get a meal (or whatever) in their stomachs.

Try not to be angry with them. They have nerve, yes, but they have to have nerve. They're hungry and homeless. Usually a kind smile and a simple "No, lo siento." works just as well.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84795 - 07/08/09 04:04 AM Re: beggars at ATM machines [Re: MadridMan]
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
I had a similar situation in London recently, Victoria Street to be precise. But this wasn't begging, there were two guys pretending to be wandering around, using the one next to me, going in the bank and out. In the end I gave up without entering my pin and walked off to use another one.

In addition to MMs good above, I would add never ever leave the printed receipt in the machine or a nearby bin.

#84797 - 07/08/09 05:23 AM Re: beggars at ATM machines [Re: Jamongris]
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
My (wife's) cousin was robbed at an ATM location. It was in her neighborhood and it was one of those that's inside an enclosure that you need to swipe your ATM Card to unlock. I used that same ATM numerous times; never got robbed.

All I can say is: be vigilant and very careful at ATM's all the time.

#84798 - 07/08/09 07:12 AM Re: beggars at ATM machines [Re: Eddie]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
The police here , though normally excellent , can be very bad at dealing with this situation ... Beggars often sit right by or even underneath ATM machines and are not moved on . Even worse is when the banks are closed some beggars ( I´ve seen this on several occasions ) manage to get into the ATM room ( where you normally have to swipe your card ) and set up there cardboard box beds !!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1581 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments