Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39755 - 09/07/05 04:02 PM Madrid: Area near Anton Martin safe?
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Hello! Does anyone know what the vibe is around the metro stop Anton Marin? I'm looking at renting an apartment around there and don't know anything about that area. Is it dangerous or shadier than other neighborhoods near the city center?

Thanks!

#39756 - 09/08/05 11:41 AM Re: Madrid: Area near Anton Martin safe?
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
It's really not that far from the center, close to Huertas and Plaza Santa Ana. I like to do my shopping around there as there are less tourists, there is a wonderful market and many "bazaar" type places to pick up houshold items such as cazuelas, pimenton, saffron etc.

I have several friends who have rented flats in the area and I have had no problems coming and going. Just use normal caution.

I have even seen Joaquin Sabina on the street several times! He lives just down the street.

#39757 - 09/08/05 02:02 PM Re: Madrid: Area near Anton Martin safe?
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
We lived in an apartment near Antón Martín.

No problems.

If you are interested, we loved our apartment, which is at the intersection of Huertas and Jesus.

http://www.inicia.es/de/elprado/

Good luck !!

#39758 - 09/09/05 05:27 AM Re: Madrid: Area near Anton Martin safe?
YZYZ Offline

Loc: Madrid
The area is pretty interesting and very multicultural. There seems to be a good mix of Chinese, Indians, and Arabs along with the Spaniards. It really is more vibrant than your typical barrio. I enjoy heading over there at all hours mostly to see great eclectic films at the Filmoteca Cine Dore. Some of the neighborhood is a little run down but there are also plenty of well-renovated apartments. Actually the neighborhood seems like it is undergoing a lot of renovation. I'sure there are some ****-holes so make sure to check the apartment before signing a lease. But safety-wise, with the same precautions you would use anywhere it is secure.

#39759 - 09/09/05 01:14 PM Re: Madrid: Area near Anton Martin safe?
jlnastal Offline

It depends where you're looking...I think north of Calle de Atocha is more comfortable; I have a friend on Amor de Dios and it's excellent. I looked at a place just south of the 24 hr pharmacy, and some wacko guy to "hold us up" with a bb gun, telling us that we were going to have to give him a euro, it was so weird. We didn't feel threatened, just really bizarre. Then the street with the apt (which was awesome) didn't have any lights on at all, so we figured I'll look somewhere else.

Good luck!

#39760 - 09/09/05 03:27 PM Re: Madrid: Area near Anton Martin safe?
pippo Offline

Loc: tarraco
I lived in Anton Martin while I was studing at the college (untill 1 year ago) and in my opinion the Anton Martin's sector near of the center of Madrid is great but the sector near of Lavapies (the worst district in my opinion) is not the best.

#39761 - 09/23/05 10:34 AM Re: Madrid: Area near Anton Martin safe?
janel Offline

I agree that Anton Martin is a fine area. And Lavapies is not THAT bad, although it does have some crime. I love to go there to buy ingredients for making arabic foods and it has some bars that I like to go to.
As in any area of the center, in Anton Martin you have to be careful of pickpockets. And in this area its definately possible. Just dont carry a lot of cash. A friend of mine lived there and once someone ran off with her bag (with 250euros and her passport) She was also blonde and looked like a tourist. Anyway, i go to this area all the time and have never felt unsafe there.
Have fun!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1810 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments