Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39101 - 05/06/04 10:48 AM Pepper spray
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
Oh-oh..... When my son and I were hiking in rural Leon we were attcked by a large dog. It took 3 blasts of pepper spray before he gave up & veered off.... However - someone told me that pepper spray my be illegal in Spain, I'd brought it with me... Was I a law-breaker???

Also, you can't transport it with you on a plane - even in "checked" luggage. If it is legal, can you purchase it in Spain???

Fup rolleyes

#39102 - 05/06/04 01:13 PM Re: Pepper spray
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I believe it is illegal. It is also rare and hard to find.

As for dogs, there are more subtle ways to make them run as a high frequency emitter smile

Fernando

#39103 - 05/06/04 02:14 PM Re: Pepper spray
Fupanier Offline

Fernando,

Thanks for the reply. I've heard of mixed results with emitters (though I'm looking into them).

Fup

#39104 - 05/06/04 06:24 PM Re: Pepper spray
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
I guess if the dog is "sordo," you would be out of luck, huh?

#39105 - 05/11/04 03:56 PM Re: Pepper spray
AJ_dup1 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
This board is so helpful. It didn't even occur to me *not* to pack my pepper spray. frown

When you say its illegal, are you refering to pepper spray or real mace? I'm wondering if the 'imitation' is legal.

#39106 - 05/11/04 04:30 PM Re: Pepper spray
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
The airlines do not permit aerosal cans in packed or carry on luggage so that may eliminate them both!!!

#39107 - 05/17/04 11:11 AM Re: Pepper spray
Fupanier Offline

aurorjinx - Here's a cut & paste from an old post.

Lasgaviotas: I have just phoned the police, and they have told me these sprays are forbidden. Anyway, I have seen one in the small boxes where people leave their metal objects when entering a bank office (the box was open). So, some people use them. Better charged than attacked, no?

Pookita, even if you use a mobile phone against somebody he/she can present charges against you because of the harm done, It depends on the situation. But doing it with pepper spray would probably make it worse.

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

Also, I believe that you can take up to a 4 oz can in checked luggage - but I would check with your airline.

As for myself, the spray was for dogs. I've oredered an electronic ultra sound gadget. Don't know if it'll work worth a darn confused

Fup

#39108 - 05/18/04 03:41 PM Re: Pepper spray
AJ_dup1 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Thanks for the information. There are all types of devices for pepper spray here, so it wouldn't necessarily be in a can. Ie- The ballpoint pen that is really pepper spray.

It almost seems worth it to pack it and have them tell me at the airport to dump it or not when they do a bag search.

For dogs--I'd worry about not having something physical as back-up.

#39109 - 05/19/04 12:03 AM Re: Pepper spray
Fupanier Offline

aurorajinx,

Yeah, I agree, but my back-up will probably be a walking stick....rather have the spray.

Fup cool

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2962 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments