Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38813 - 01/26/04 02:32 AM Barcelona: Safe area for a couple of days?
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Hi,

I've read many of the posts about Barcelona lodging, and even found Madridman\'s Barcelona Hostels to be *very* helpful. Thanks, Madridman!

But my question is more related to my ignorance about the city of Barcelona...

Where is safe? Where can my wife and I roam until midnight or so and not be too worried about petty theft?

I know how to conduct myself in Madrid in this regard, and I know where is safe and where to watch my pockets, etc. How does Barcelona compare?

Where should my wife and I plan to stay while in Barcelona for a couple of days?

Thanks for your assistance! smile

#38814 - 01/26/04 05:34 AM Re: Barcelona: Safe area for a couple of days?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hmmm.... as with Madrid, the same goes with Barcelona. We really can't tell you where it is safe and where is unsafe because it's all relative. Know that wherever there is tourism there is some form of crime. Having said that, you can expect higher levels of pickpockets and purse snatchers and other forms of petty crimes in and around Las Ramblas, Plaza Reial, and the Gothic Quarter. I have heard from most that the Gothic Quarter at night, at least some of the narrower, pedestrian streets, can be a bit... well.... questionable. Staying somewhere along Las Ramblas, while noisy and frenetic, can be a bit safer because there are always people around, practically 24-hours a day. Next, might be around the Plaza de Cataluña or in the more "common" Eixample district. These areas are somewhat less touristy, a little more modern, and still very nice, although further from the places you'll likely want to visit.

I'm rather sure there is a higher rate of pickpockets and these kinds of petty crimes in Barcelona than Madrid but I know there has been a great effort in the recent year or two to slow the crime rate.

Be sure to SEARCH this "Safety & Security" forum using BARCELONA SAFE as your keywords and you should find some other threads on the topic.

Good luck, be safe, and have a WONDERFUL time in beautiful Barcelona!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#38815 - 01/26/04 09:27 PM Re: Barcelona: Safe area for a couple of days?
megia Offline

Madridman,

Thanks for your helpful reply! Looks like I posted this in the wrong place originally, sorry!

I'll take your suggestions and apply that to our trip. Your hostels page has some great links, including one I found to the TMB - Transportation Metropolitans de Barcelona, where I downloaded the metro map.

Anyway, glad to see your site *SO* busy and popular! Maybe I'll be able to go to your annual fiesta at the 'Bar Brillante' this year!

andrew

#38816 - 01/27/04 04:47 AM Re: Barcelona: Safe area for a couple of days?
mhmartel Offline

Loc: Konstanz, Germany
Just my two cents, but when I was in Barcelona last July (height of the tourist season!)I never felt unsafe roaming the streets in any of the areas you mentioned, even fairly late at night.

So long as you keep your wits about you -- i.e. be aware of your surroundings, keep cash and camera secured and out of sight, etc. -- I wouldn't expect you to have any problems, even on Las Ramblas. If you should find yourself in a situation where you feel insecure, or you think someone is behaving in a suspicious manner, make a point of looking them directly in the eye: as if to say, 'I see what you're up to'. Then walk toward the nearest place where there are lights and people. Chances are, if the individual(s) who are making you nervous really did plan to rob you, they will change their minds when they see that you are not going to be an easy target. Generally, there are so many other tourists wandering around who might as well have "rob me" signs on their foreheads (for instance, the ones stumbling smile back to their hotel, drunk, at 2am wearing expensive jewelry and still carrying their camera around their neck); just be smart and avoid making yourself an attractive mark.

And above all, don't waste alot of time worrying about whether it's safe; just get out there and enjoy yourself! Barcelona is a fabulous, diverse city and you should see as much of it as you can!

Happy Travels!

#38817 - 01/29/04 04:27 PM Re: Barcelona: Safe area for a couple of days?
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
In my view, and I have been to Barcelona many times, the area around the lower end of the Ramblas, The Gothic Quarter, can be a little off putting at night. There are groups of what I would call "homeless" persons, they tend to gather on street corners and although they have never approached me I am very aware of them. I always wear a shoulder bag across my body and hold onto it just in case. So please do take care and do be aware of those around you and you will be ok. I really hope you enjoy your stay in that beautiful city.

#38818 - 02/04/04 01:04 PM Re: Barcelona: Safe area for a couple of days?
megia Offline

Thanks for your suggestions and your help!

I'm really going into this blind because it's a business trip and I had no idea I would be going. Aside from what I've learned in school and from Spaniards, I know *little* about precious Barcelona!

Any other suggestions are welcome at my email address, and I'll scour the board for other Barcelona information (i.e., restaurants, wine stores, art museums, etc...).

Thanks! smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1736 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments