Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38339 - 03/16/03 12:10 PM Photocopies of passport
el viajero Offline

I've had two pieces of conflicting advice on this subject.

One school of thought says it's best to follow the law and carry one's passport and leave a photocopy in the hotel room, to present at the U.S. embassy in case the original goes missing.

The other advice says that in practice, it's safer to carry the photocopy and leave the original in the hotel or apartment. Has anyone here tried the latter scheme and lived to regret it?

#38340 - 03/16/03 02:36 PM Re: Photocopies of passport
eduardo Offline

Loc: Madrid
El Viajero,

(See my post about my mugging to see how topical your post is.)

My vote is to lock your passport up safely and carry only the copy to show when required. The worst case in this scenario is that the police or some other authorities stop you and you have to explain to them where your passport is. They may accompany you to your hotel to check your story, or they might (probably not in Spain, but maybe elsewhere) issue a fine for not having proper documentation. Even with that remote chance, a fine would certainly be less onerous than having to go to the embassy or consulate to replace a stolen passport.

#38341 - 03/16/03 06:16 PM Re: Photocopies of passport
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
el viajero writes:

Quote:
it's best to follow the law and carry one's passport
Hmm... which law is that? I know that in Spain you are required to carry identification, but didnīt know it had to be a passport.

Before I got my residency card, I carried a photocopy of my passport and my PA Driversī license. I never had any problems (then again, was never stopped by the documentation police. Must be my angelic face :p ) There will be times when you need your passport...for example if you pay with a credit card, they will ask you for ID and I donīt think a photocopy will cut it... but your driversī license or passport will work like a charm.

I have always heard that itīs best to keep your original docs in a safe place and carry a photocopy with you. In fact, when I studied here during my college days, it was what was recommended.

#38342 - 03/16/03 08:44 PM Re: Photocopies of passport
el viajero Offline

Quote:
Hmm... which law is that? I know that in Spain you are required to carry identification, but didnīt know it had to be a passport.
I thought Spanish law required a national ID card rather than something like a state driver's license. In my case, it amounts to the same thing: I've been too lazy to renew my state non-driver ID card, so my passport is all I have at the moment. It's a replacement passport at that: pickpockets got the previous one last time I was in Madrid.

Thanks to all who replied!

#38343 - 03/17/03 12:30 PM Re: Photocopies of passport
DTW Offline

Loc: Dallas
So what is the consensus here. Carry the original or the photocopy?

#38344 - 03/17/03 05:16 PM Re: Photocopies of passport
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, Espaņa
I carry my orginal passport, in a plastic sleeve, to protect it from getting sweaty. Ihad to replace my orginal passport because it was getting too funky! I just wouldn't trust it anywhere but on me, just keep real aware of it at all times, like in your front pants pocket with your hand on it!

#38345 - 03/17/03 07:08 PM Re: Photocopies of passport
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
The question is, what makes you feel more comfortable? wink

#38346 - 03/17/03 11:59 PM Re: Photocopies of passport
aidance Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Cardiff by the Sea CA
I carry the photocopy. I've never been stopped by the authorities, but every hotel or hostal has accepted the copy for check in, rather than asking me to dig out the original.

#38347 - 03/19/03 05:39 PM Re: Photocopies of passport
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Here is one of the things I do before leaving.
I scan in a copy of my passport and send it to my email. This way, if I ever need an extra copy, it's as simple as a trip to the internet cafe.

I keep the original in the hotel and usually try to have a copy on me as well. But, having the copy is always my back up.

#38348 - 03/20/03 11:49 PM Re: Photocopies of passport
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
Here's the official State Department word: "Travelers are encouraged to carry limited cash, one credit card, and a copy of their passport; leaving extra cash, credit cards, passports and personal documents in a safe location."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1568 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments