Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37962 - 04/25/02 04:11 PM Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
rainspooner Offline

Loc: Phoenix
I'm currently browsing through a webpage compiling all the tourist scams & pickpocketing procedures that the webpage's author has witnessed/heard about.

The author is based in Barcelona and recounts her first hand accounts of times when she's nearly been "had". She has also compiled a bunch of stories that people have emailed to her. (Actually, I'm not sure if the author is male or female!)

I'm NOT a paranoid/suspicious person in general. This webpage make for interesting reading during a slow afternoon at work.

www.jones.tc/barna/scams.html

Street crime is all about DISTRACTION!

#37963 - 04/26/02 03:15 AM Re: Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
Also be wary (espc barcalona) of kids wanting to "dance" with you or involving you in a mini street futbol game.

Chris

#37964 - 04/26/02 11:28 PM Re: Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
rainspooner, are you sure about that URL? It doesn't work. frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37965 - 04/27/02 05:52 AM Re: Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
It worked OK for me. I just clicked on the link. It's very good, but not comprehensive. As soon as a scam tactic is exposed, someone comes up with a new one. rolleyes
Years ago, in the Barcelona Metro (at the Maria Cristina station), someone jostled me from the left as I approached a stairway. Instead of turning in that direction, I spun clockwise with my right hand swinging in a Karate chop fashion. I caught the jostler's partner in the throat as I called to my 6'2" 200 pound son who was walking ahead. The would be pickpockets beat a hasty retreat. eek

#37966 - 04/27/02 09:04 PM Re: Crafty & Creative Pickpocketing Procedures
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Eddie, you are SUCH a quick thinker!

I loved that website with all the scams. It really is true that the best strategy is a good defense: carry NO purses, backpacks, daypacks etc. Hide a small amount of money and one credit card on your person. Lock up everything else (and not necessarily in the hotel safe.... remember anchovy front's story????).

I loved Barcelona and saw NONE of the scams in operation, mostly because I was walking to a particular place, was speaking Spanish, etc. We did end up in the barrio chino by accident one night, coming back from a theatre, and I was nervous, but mostly there were just many groups of single men hanging.

Barcelona is a fantastic city!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1906 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments