Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37832 - 01/04/02 02:37 AM Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
I thought I'd post this for two reasons: (1) Warn upcoming travelers to the U.S. on U.S. planes, and (2) throw this out on the message board for others to comment on.

Returning from Madrid - via New York JFK - to San Francisco, we experienced the most comprehensive security. After check-in, all bags to be "checked" had to be unpacked under gaurd, and x-rayed empty.

We ran into friends from California while in security - we were on Delta, they on US Airways. Apparently, this security is being imposed by the US government for all U.S. "flagged" flights.

I was all for it, but this should be taken as a warning - give yourself plenty of check-in time. Anyone have anymore info. on this - I'm curious if all flights are going through this, or is it random???

#37833 - 01/04/02 10:48 AM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm all for higher security on ALL flights. I was THANKFUL my January 2 Delta flight from Madrid to Atlanta was cancelled and I was put on an Iberia Airlines to Chicago (in BUSINESS CLASS, no less!! Talk about Spanish Royal Treatment! -- will tell the story this weekend -- not relative to this thread so please don't comment on this portion of my posting.. blah blah blah.. chatter chatter chatter, yadda yadda yadda... wink ) But I was told that every 5 persons passing through security were ordered to remove their shoes for further checks.

Still, I was surprised how quickly I passed through the initial security checkpoint. There was ANOTHER security checkpoint at the gate as well and security personnel with dogs walking throughout the Barajas airport.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37834 - 01/04/02 08:00 PM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
We came back from Madrid Barajas to Newark on Dec 30th via Continental. We saw very little security more than normal. The lines moved quite fast as they had security people who went ahead thru the line before people got to the baggage check in counter--they asked questions--but pretty much the usual questions. It appeared they were spot checking all the luggage of some people every so often.

#37835 - 01/04/02 09:15 PM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
paseodeh50 Offline

Loc: Denver, colorado
I too had the chance to repack my bags at the airport thanks to security on an Iberia flight to Chicago Jan 04. It seemed to me that everyone was being put through same process if they were headed to a US destination. We were glad to get there early as we had no advanced notice that such a search would be done. Just by chance we found out about needing to go to a special line for check-in as I saw no posted notice and we would have had to stand in the regular check-in line just to be told that we were in the wrong place.
I have to say I felt pleased to know that this kind of security was provided, but was also very glad to be at the beginning of the line as it seemed to be streching into an endless process for those behind me.

#37836 - 01/05/02 03:42 AM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
JJP Offline

We're all rational people, it seems. I have no complaints on level of security. Complete and competant security is all we can ask for. The wrest is in the hands of fate (or the man upstairs, depending of beliefs).

I posted this because of an interest in the uniformity of security. Tough security is great, but if they're not subjecting everyone to it, how is it any better than the satus-quo?

Devil's-advocate aside, I was very impressed with the treatment in the hands of such severe security. Even with all the stress and detail, the Barajas security agents were extremely professional and NOT frustrated with my elementary Spanish.

Even in difficult circumstances (potential for terrorist acts), we left Spain impressed that even the security detail had a good disposition.

#37837 - 01/05/02 04:46 PM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi JJP,
I returned from Madrid on January 1st, on U.S. Airways. My experience at the Madrid airport was very pleasant, the U.S. Air folks asked a series of questions while we waited to get our boarding passes; then we passed through security and boarded, there too we were asked more questions by the U.S. Air staff. A few randomly selected passengers were screened by security staff.

But Philadelphia was "Security Hell". Eddie,you were so right. Our flight came in 30 minutes early at 4:10 p.m. and we had a connecting flight to Orlando leaving at 5:30 p.m. Well, first we went through immigration, Then through customs. We were the randomly selected travelers to got through Agriculture. All carry-on bags were opened and we passed. I only bought wine and cheese! Thanks to reading this board I knew not to bring Jamon serrano, but another passenger behind us did, poor soul!

Then we left the area and that's when Philly became security hell! There was a very long line filled with U.S. Air passengers who had connecting flights. They only had one security station for hundreds of people, so by the time our turn came to go through the security scanner, it was 5:10 p.m. We were asked to take off our shoes ( they were asking all passengers to do this) then take off our coats and jackets, belts, metal hairclips, all pocket change. In other words we were down to our undies and one layer of clothes, then all of our carry on went through. My son forgot about removing his belt so he set off the alarm, and had to undergo a hand scan and then go through the gate again. My carry on luggage was cited as suspicious, so they took everything out of my wheeled suitcase and found that the suspicious object was alas a medal of St. James that I had bought at Santiago! By this time it was 5:25 p.m. We went through a series of stairs, until a very nice Continental Air vehicle stopped and gave us a lift and drove us to our boarding area. This was 5:35, but lo and behold, the flight had not even begun boarding so we made it. I had resigned myself to stay overnight in Philadelphia!

In retrospect, Philadelphia gets my seal of approval in terms of being thorough and practicing good security measures. I would fly through that airport again. But passengers do have to be very patient and when they are selecting flights, be sure to give yourself plenty of time between flights so you can at least have a quick "pottie" break before continuing on your travels! wink
Booklady

#37838 - 01/05/02 07:27 PM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I was due to fly to Philadelphia from Madrid the last week in September, but was still skittish after 9-11. I postponed my travel by two weeks and got a pretty thorough security check on my rescheduled flight.

I flew on USAir direct to Philadelphia. While in line for my boarding pass and to check my luggage, the airline personnel began the standard line of questioning. It got more interesting as she flipped through my passport, asked me the last time that I was in the United States and actually verified the dates stamped. Asked me why I was in Spain, where was my residentīs card (I didnīt have it yet, it was the purpose for my visit to the USA...to get my VISA from the consulate to apply for residency). No problems going through passport/police control...and then prior to boarding, USAir was spot checking passengers as they boarded.
Once arriving in Philadelphia, going through immigration was a snap.

Flying back to Spain, I was one of those picked for spot checking prior to boarding the plane. The airline employee was very friendly as she briskly emptied the contents of my carry-on and then kindly repacked it for me.

I am glad to know that there are heightened airline security measures. Itīs just a shame that it took a tragedy of 9-11 for such actions to take place.

#37839 - 01/05/02 08:07 PM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
When I flew to the USA years ago I was given a green sheet of paper in which they asked me some questions.

It was the most ridiculous test I have ever filled. They asked me if I was going to murder the president of the USA (did they think that if I were to I would answer yes??), if I had children custody problems with any american citizen (I was 15 years-old...), etc...

With the lack of respect for autorithy (police for example) we have in Spain I was not surprised when I heard about this story: In a convention somewhere in the States the spanish journalists were made to ask that questionary. As usual, spanish journalists laughed at the questions, and one of them answered it casually (he said yes, that he intended to kill the president). I don't know if I should give credit to the rest of the story, but it is said that the police in american airport evacuated it, arrested the journalist for 2 days and deported it back to Spain!

Sometimes our hungry for fiesta and cachondeo drives us to tricky situations...

Make no mistake: I'm for high level security in airplanes, it was just an anecdote of how sometimes we can do ridiculous things to achieve serious goals.

Fernando

#37840 - 01/05/02 09:17 PM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Booklady, I found your post on security in the Philadelphia airport very interesting. I'm there often, and I've always thought they do a terrible job. I'm glad to hear they're being more thorough since 9/11.

I was there on Dec. 27 to meet a good friend from Madrid between his two connecting flights. He breezed through passport and customs. Since he had no checked-in luggage, he said it took him 5 minutes to get from the gate to the exit. We were worried about getting back in time for the second flight, so he made sure he had more than an hour to go through security. He told me later on the phone that he walked right through there again. I guess it depends a lot on when you're there, and how many other people are in line.

One interesing thing I learned from him is that you may no longer carry wine bottles in your hand luggage. All glass is considered a potential weapon. He had to leave the wine he planned on bringing in Madrid.

Fernando, I know someone who was also asked about an intention to kill the president way back in 1983, when Spaniards had to apply for a visa to visit the US. I can't believe they're still using that question!
rolleyes

#37841 - 01/05/02 09:49 PM Re: Barajas MAD - High Security for U.S. planes!
JJP Offline

Are they really still using this question? I hope not - I really doubt it. Maybe there was some known "bad-blood" between Spaniards and "Americans" in the past???? I couldn't imagine why they would ask such an inept question on a "entry" form. Dumb...

My grandparents lived in Malaga for a summer, on vacation in the 1950's. My abuela told me they had an absolutely wonderful time in Spain then. They mixed well with everyone, and had a most possitive experience.

On the other hand, others my father's generation thought in 60's and 70's that Americans were not welcome in Spain. It's amazing how the perception changes so rapidly. My father had been very interested in my Spanish travels.

It's very interesting to to notice/study the perceptions one has of other's culture. There can be such suspicion of others - many on this board have remarked that if there was more respect, there could be less conflict in the world. I agree...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2755 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments