Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#83993 - 03/11/09 04:00 PM wallets, precautions, etc: Granada. men?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Ok, so when I lived in Spain, specifically Granada, I really did not go to any great lengths to prevent theft, etc... I didnt use a money belt or anything, etc etc. Just carried my stuff in a purse kept it tucked under my arm, zipped, and paid attention to what was going on around me and had no problems the entire time I lived there. Took my grandmother back with me a couple years ago, and same scenario, no problems. This time i'm taking my dad and my uncle with me and they are already asking/concerned about money belts, what to do with their wallets, etc. Soooo... for a 50something year old man- whats the best idea. Im trying to convince them not to use money belts- who wants to go digging in there pants for cash, etc. But then when I get to thinking about it, their typical routine of stashing a wallet in the back pocket might not be the best idea ever either..... thoughts or suggestions?

#83997 - 03/12/09 01:02 AM Re: wallets, precautions, etc: Granada. men? [Re: kelar419]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Being one of those "50something year olds" ;), I'll give you a few of my habits that I have developed over 35 years of travel.

I carry a back pocket wallet at home, but not when traveling. I use a neck wallet when moving from place to place on planes and trains. It's easier to pull it out of your shirt than to take out a money belt. As soon as possible after arrival I sort everything out and stash my passport and all but a day or two of cash and the cards I will be using short term in the hotel safe. An in the room safe is best but most hotel/hostales have one behind the desk. Go back when you need to. Ask for a receipt. On the advice of Spanish friends, I carry a scanned copy of my passport. In 30+ trips to Spain there has never been a problem. On the street I put my credit card in a buttoned front shirt pocket. For cash I fold up everything over 10 euros and put it fold end down in my watch pocket. It's almost like a lever, difficult to remove.

I keep a data sheet with all the bank numbers and websites and phone numbers and email it to myself. That way it is always secure and accessible from any internet cafe.

I keep a separate credit card for obtaining cash than the one I use for shopping, hotels and restaurants. It's easier to keep track of payments and interest rates. I always use credit cards for getting money. It may be a bit cheaper to use debit cards, but several times I have had errors with debit cards, and until the problem is reported, they have your money! If you are worried about the high interest, pay it off the day you get home. (Or even from Spain. The internet is a wonderful thing for travelers!)

Finally, shortly before departure I always send an e-mail to my credit card companies and bank telling them where and when I will be travelling, including my home and connecting airports. It has saved me much trouble.

Sorry, I can't help with the middle of the night bathroom thing! grin

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2573 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments