Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39461 - 12/12/04 03:26 PM Bomb threat at Real Madrid game
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I was about to log off and noticed this new story on the CNN site. Not much detail, but the story says a bomb threat caused evacuation of a game at Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in the 88th minute.
CNN story - bomb threat Madrid

#39462 - 12/12/04 04:28 PM Re: Bomb threat at Real Madrid game
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It's a act of propaganda and nothing more. They can place a bomb and would probably do it if possible, but they don't want to risk the bad propaganda they would get if they killed a thousand persons in a soccer match.

Fernando

#39463 - 12/13/04 04:46 AM Re: Bomb threat at Real Madrid game
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
also half the fans were Real Sociedad and if i'm not mistaken they are from the North?? (ETA territory)

#39464 - 12/13/04 06:01 AM Re: Bomb threat at Real Madrid game
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Real Sociedad is a soccer team from San Sebastián, Guipúzcoa province, The Basque Country. So you are right, there were some basques fans in the stadium (not as much as half, San Sebastián is not near Madrid, they were probably 5-10% of the fans).

Fernando

#39465 - 12/13/04 10:07 AM Re: Bomb threat at Real Madrid game
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Thanks for that Fernando, I had a vague idea that it was North, but didn't quite know where they were from. I thought it was probably a Real sociedad fan calling the newspaper because they thought Real Madrid were going to win!! Does that sound likely to you? Did they actually find a bomb, or was it just a hoax?

#39466 - 12/13/04 02:07 PM Re: Bomb threat at Real Madrid game
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

It was a hoax. It is very unlikely the blame was on a Real Sociedad's fan (or a Real Madrid's for that matter) because actually Real Sociedad was near to win (though they were tied).

A new hipothesis states that ETA was not behind the call, but perhaps someone who wanted to harm Madrid's candidature for the Olympic Games in 2012. But it is just an hipothesis.

I hope the one behind the call (whoever he is) is discovered and brought to justice soon.

Fernando

#39467 - 05/16/05 03:26 AM Re: Bomb threat at Real Madrid game
quique Offline

Loc: alcala de henares
I was there. Nobody knew exactly what was happening, but we did'nt need too much explanations.

When the referee stopped the match, somebody told us that the Real Sociedad's coach had suffered a heart attack, so we stayed at our places looking to the benches. Suddenly, police ordered us to come out and we noticed that it was something more serious. We come out crossing the pitch, just walking. I didn't see anybody running. Everything was quiet and silence inside; outside, the chaos.

#39468 - 05/17/05 02:51 AM Re: Bomb threat at Real Madrid game
Anonymous
Unregistered

That kind of stuff seriously hurts Madrid's bid for the 2012 Olympics. Madrid now is being looked upon as one of the least safe cities in Europe because of the terrorism acts that have happened there recently.
I seriously doubt that ETA was responsible since a team from the basque region was playing that day.But the mystery still remains unsolved.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments