Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39304 - 10/16/04 06:51 PM Security on rails since 3/11
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Since that horrible attack on 3.11, how has security increased / changed on trains?

I know after 9.11 in New York, security was beyond control for about three months then you witnessed a grandual lax to where it again seems like a joke again
(except when really important people visit the city like son of a Bush)

#39305 - 10/18/04 07:24 AM Re: Security on rails since 3/11
Meg Offline

Loc: Madrid via Pennsylvania
I think the same thing has happened here.

I don't use the cercanias trains but I do travel by metro everyday, and I saw a lot more security during the weeks/months after March 11. There were more police officers and security guards walking around the metro stations doing things like looking in trash cans to make sure there was nothing suspicious and occasionaly asking people to open their backpacks, as well as riding in the actual trains. They were also all wearing bright orange vests for a short period of time--I guess to make it easier to find them if you had a problem.

However, the orange vests have now disappeared along with a lot of the security guards, and things seem to be pretty much back to the way it was before the terrorist attack.

#39306 - 05/15/05 08:07 AM Re: Security on rails since 3/11
quique Offline

Loc: alcala de henares
I take those trains everyday. Don't think about it. Trains are crowded as always.

#39307 - 05/15/05 08:49 AM Re: Security on rails since 3/11
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
It is impossible to prevent someone put a bomb in a bag in a short-way train. In Madrid 5 million people use it everyday.

But of course, everyone thinks about it, and when someone sees something suspicious he will tell the authorities.

We can't stop using planes or trains. And by the way, there is a higher chance to die in a car accident than in a terrorist bombing.

Fernando

#39308 - 05/16/05 02:22 AM Re: Security on rails since 3/11
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
The security in Atocha station is spectacular. There are elite policemen everywhere. In march, during the anniversary, the army took positions around the station.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2060 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments