Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#39178 - 06/19/04 01:00 AM Safety? USA ->Madrid flight
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Im going back to Madrid to see my family their. Any ways I have to fly for many many hours such a pain in the A$# then to make thing worse theirs those planned terriost attacks this summer. Any one else going to Spain or other far away lands this summer I must admit im slightly nervous of getting in a plane the last time I mounted one was before the 9/11 attacks what sould I expect at the air port security since then thanks in advance.

#39179 - 06/19/04 08:50 AM Re: Safety? USA ->Madrid flight
mecky Offline

Loc: US
Qunitos 233
Go and enjoy yourself. I was traveling solo in Spain for 4 weeks in April and May. I flew from Charlotte NC to Atlanta, then to Madrid. In Spain I've walked the Camino from Pamplona to Burgos and then from Sorria to Santiago de Compestella.
Visited with friends in Madrid, Zaragoza Coruna and many other small towns and NEVER was I worried. My friends and my family here in the US wanted me to travel as a German, since I am German but I traveled as an American, that is what I am now.
With websites such as this we are free of the propaganda about how much Americans are disliked. One of my rules wherever I am traveling to is that I do not discuss Sex Religion and Politics! No matter what language and what country.You have more worries traveling on the freeways in the US then traveling by plane. Do wear shoes that you can take of easy, I did the Sandals thing. chances are shoes have metals in it that will set of the system. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

#39180 - 06/19/04 11:01 AM Re: Safety? USA ->Madrid flight
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
No matter how shocking are terrorist attacks, if we consider cold numbers traveling by plane is one of the most secure transports methods available.

Everyday there are thosands of flights around the world, and there are only a few accidents per year with less than one or two thousand deaths. Every year, only in Spain, there are more than 5,000 persons who got killed in traffic accidents.

As for Madrid, no matter we suffered the 3/11 bombings, everyday more than 1 million people use the subway or train. So the statistics favoured us smile

Don't let terrorists condition you life.

Fernando

#39181 - 06/19/04 11:23 AM Re: Safety? USA ->Madrid flight
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I'm also leaving for Spain to take my new daughter to meet her abuelos and other family members. I have never felt unsafe overseas and am excited to take my baby to Spain. I do admit that this time I am a little more nervous about flying but I think my jitters are because it will be the first time flying with a little one.

Anyway, I agree with the previous post, look at the statistics and it will give you comfort.
Have a great time and enjoy your trip with the usual precautions!

#39182 - 06/19/04 11:37 AM Re: Safety? USA ->Madrid flight
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Along the same lines as Fernando's insightful comments, you're probably MORE likely to die in a fatal car accident on the way TO the airport than in a hijacking. Go and have a great time. You'll be glad you did.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#39183 - 06/19/04 03:21 PM Re: Safety? USA ->Madrid flight
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Quintos233,

You have contributed and participated quite a bit on this forum, and we look forward to reading about your adventures in Spain this summer. So... donīt even let the fear factor get to you.

As an American living overseas, I have flown back and forth to the USA at least 4 times since 9/11. I donīt think you should be too concerned about flying. Iīll admit that I get on airplanes with a bit more trepidation than before 9/11, but that is only natural.

What to expect at the airport? Tightened security. Long lines. Jittery (less now) travelers. Uptight airport personnel, particularly in customs.

My recommendations:
Donīt let it get to you. Approach the airport odyssey with a smile on your face thinking about what awaits you in Spain. Donīt try to break the rules (ex. sneak in jamón serrano, etc), itīs not worth it. Have patience. Do whatīs asked of you quickly and with a smile. Donīt bring what is banned. Pack/dress smart. As mecky said, a pair of shoes that are easily removed are a life saver.

Most importantly, have a great trip! We want to read about it here! smile

#39184 - 06/20/04 01:07 AM Re: Safety? USA ->Madrid flight
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
All of your comments are reassuring im going back to Spain for the first time in three years my aunt uncle came down in summer the month that I spend their with my family is very price less since I don't seem them very often.

#39185 - 06/21/04 07:19 AM Re: Safety? USA ->Madrid flight
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Quintos 233 writes:
Quote:
... I have to fly for many many hours such a pain in the A$# then to make thing worse theirs those planned terriost attacks this summer. ... im slightly nervous of getting in a plane the last time ... was before the 9/11 attacks what sould I expect at the air port security since then
I just got back (MAD-EWR) yesterday from a whirlwind 'pilgrimage' to Santiago de Compostela. If you judge fears of Terrorism by how crowded the flights are, you would have to conclude that most of us have decided to live with it.

As for airport security, they make you remove your shoes and coat (or jacket) - that was the case in Frankfurt am Main even before 9/11.

#39186 - 06/30/04 12:40 PM Re: Safety? USA ->Madrid flight
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, Espaņa
As someone who travels at least twice a year between the States and Madrid, I would suggest the following to make your trip and security/customs easier and more enjoyable:

1) the shoes idea is good, I always bring my slippers so I can wear them on the flight (less smell laugh and I can pad around the cabin in them);

2) either wear your pants without a belt or wear comfortable string-tied pants (I got some made from hemp fiber at Col. Tapioca's -- they're great), so you don't have to take off your belt and put it back on going through the metal detectors.

3) get a small fabric pouch into which you can put all your coins, watch, etc. to speed up going throught the metal detector;

4) don't wear a coat!

5) beware that theives sometimes manage to barge on the line through the detection after you have put your stuff on line and swipe your things on the other end;

6) drink plenty of water, not caffinated drinks or alcohol on the flight to prevent dehydration;

7) wiggle your toes, make circles with your feet from your ankles, move your feet back and forth often, pull your knees up towards your chest, walk around the cabin; this will help prevent cramps and more important, a potential blood clot! (No kidding, this is a real health hazard of flying long distances);

8) either get a pillow from the flight attendant or bring one of those inflatable neck travel pillows which are shaped like a "U" to make naps more comfortable.

9) wear loose clothing, you aren't going to impress anyone in a wrinkled suit anyway.

10) if you can, either bring your own serious snack or maybe have a good restaurant or deli prepare something for the flight; airlines are more frequently actually CHARGING for their lousy food!

11) put some BRIGHT fabric tape on each side of each piece of your checked luggage to make it instantly identifiable in the crush at the baggage carousel. Be sure to have some id INSIDE your luggage as well as outside, with both your destination (or maybe just a phone number to contact if you are worried about someone getting information they could use to rip you off -- like your home address when you are out --) and orgin, in case the airlines mess up. Alternatively you could get a friend to agree to let you use thier address, then they could notify you if needed.

Finally, keep your documentation where it will be easy to get, but where you can keep an eye on it. Passports can be resold by thieves for a considerable sum.

As far as the terrorist threat. . . you have two choices: 1) stay at home, and then they win; 2) continue with your life and take the chance, and then they lose. If you choose number 1, you might as well not move from your chair. Your house is by far the most dangerous place you will probably be (watch out for that bathtub!).

If you choose number 2, then, yes, there is a (very tiny) chance that you could end up as a victim of an attack. They do occasionally happen in Spain, and elsewhere. There is nothing you can do to prevent it, the chances are very small, so my advice is decide how you want to live your life, and then live it.

Hope these hints make your trip more pleasant and secure.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1924 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments