Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38640 - 07/21/03 12:42 PM safety in Madrid
eljimbo Offline

Loc: england
I´ve been fascinated by all the stuff i´ve read here. I´m currently staying in the area of Puerta del Sol in a very nice hostale. I´m busy looking for work in language schools and other places. As a result of looking for work i´ve had to visit quite a few areas via the Metro.

The area of Puerta del Sol seems quite friendly to me, a lovely area full of people. I say seems because i accidently bumped into a woman, because of all the guys selling their goods on the pavement, and she got quite a fright.

A similar thing happened on the Metro because i wasn´t holding onto the rail as the train was moving. There is an atmosphere of calm here but i do fell that there is a hidden ´anxiety´in people.

Visiting other areas of Madrid helps put where you are into perspective. Today as i left Metro station Callao i felt as if i needed to be more alert, but in no way was i ever approached or threatened.
Madrid really is a beautiful city, anyone considering coming here should do so without hesitation. The people are very friendly, and as someone said elsewhere, very tolerent of ouy language mistakes.
My mistake coming here was that i´ve really come too late to find work in language schools as most close in August and i go back to Uni in September.

I have found a job in a summer camp for the last two weeks in August, courtesy of a notice in an Irish pub, so thanks to whoever was responsible for that.
If anyones looking for accommodation, like me at the moment, either buy the daily paper SegundoMano or try www.segundomano.es
Last note, i´m looking to improve my Spanish so if Fernando has some time free i´d appreciate a chat.
Come to Madrid, it really is a beautiful city.

#38641 - 07/21/03 12:46 PM Re: safety in Madrid
eljimbo Offline

Loc: england
Sorry to anyone trying posted web address, i tried it. it should be www.segundamano.es

Enjoy Spain

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2373 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments