Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#38330 - 02/04/03 06:39 AM mugging in Malasana, Madrid
JamesC Offline

Loc: Ireland
Just back from a weekend in Madrid, and just wanted to post a word of warning to those who don't know the city well (I do as I lived there before)...walking between Tribunal and Gran Via near Fuencarral late on a Sunday evening I was held at knifepoint (to the throat) and my money and jacket taken. I was very 'professionally' frisked for my wallet etc. Those of you who know the place will know what it can be like there but I hope it will help others who may stray in there. A couple of beers removed my caution unfortunately. Don't mean to put anyone off as the area where I stayed, Plaza del Angel, was really safe and pleasant. However a lot worse could have happened as these men were not messing around.
Thanks
JamesC

#38331 - 02/04/03 10:33 AM Re: mugging in Malasana, Madrid
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
JamesC,

I just wanted to say how horrified I am to have read what happened to you in such a centric area of Madrid. I'M SO SORRY! And I hope you don't feel any "post-trauma" effect in your life now, in your sleep etc....(I personally think I'd probably have a heart-attack if I was mugged that way frown )

#38332 - 02/04/03 10:40 AM Re: mugging in Malasana, Madrid
Espe3 Offline

So sorry James! I'm not surprised though. I stay with my aunts who live in the area and they INSIST I always go accompanied home as we're in that area! Like you said, you have to be aware, its a fun place,lots of neat shops and things also, although fuencarral and tribunal isn't so bad because there is always a lot of people, its malasana and the side streets that one has to be more careful in. Glad you're ok!

#38333 - 02/04/03 01:17 PM Re: mugging in Malasana, Madrid
nevado Offline

Wow, that's really scary. I'm glad you're okay. It is so sad that we now have to be extra careful in areas we go on a daily basis in the center. For the first time this summer I experienced an attempt to snatch my bag, on two different occasions. On the first occasion I was in a shoe shop on Goya, certainly not where I expected to encounter problems. The woman worked her way over to the seating area where my friend and I were and waited for us to get distracted. Safety is always one thing I cherished about Madrid and it's depressing to think it's not the case. I realize Madrid is still safer than most cities, but having the freedom to walk almost anywhere at any hour of the day you certainly weren't able to find in many cities.

#38334 - 02/04/03 09:22 PM Re: mugging in Malasana, Madrid
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Was this attack staged by Morrocans??

#38335 - 02/05/03 05:58 AM Re: mugging in Malasana, Madrid
JamesC Offline

Loc: Ireland
Thank you all for your comments , I really appreciate it. I have felt a bit shaken since but as it happened to me here in Dublin by Irish people too I understand it is a global thing irrespective of nationality etc...on this occasion I am not certain where they were from, late at night, a few beers and the fright of it all, I think they were arabic but as we know all races are capable of this bull****.thanks folks
JamesC

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1748 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments