Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#37870 - 01/06/02 01:58 PM Personal Alarm or Mace?
Marvilyn Offline

Loc: California
I'll be traveling solo for a week and a half in Barcelona and Madrid. I'm debating between bringing mace or purchasing a personal alarm system just as some added protection against a violent mugging. I'm prepared to be pickpocketed and figure if they can get to it they probably deserve it but as a 4 11 female I'm not prepared to get into a wrestling match for all of my possessions when I'm in transit from city to city. However, if I decide to bring mace that would mean I'd have to check-in my luggage instead of just bringing a single carry-on. Any suggestions? I've posted this before but it was lost in the system.
Thanks for your help! Here's the web page for the alarm system I found.

#37871 - 01/06/02 03:11 PM Re: Personal Alarm or Mace?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Obviously, you can do whatever you want, but my advice is that you forget about both. You won't need them at all. Nothing is going to happen to you, specially if you're a little careful. I even think mace is illegal in Europe, so it could only get you into trouble. Ask any of the various people who've been hanging out Madrid this very week (we walked everywhere and got into some pretty crowded places), if they felt unsafe at any moment.

Saludos smile

#37872 - 01/06/02 05:13 PM Re: Personal Alarm or Mace?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I have traveled by myself throughout Spain as well as other parts of Europe, taking overnight trains, and hanging out in big cities (including Barcelona and have lived in Madrid). What has always impressed me about Spain, and Europe in general, is the LACK of violent crime as compared to the United States. If you have enough street smarts to navigate a large city in the United States by yourself, I think you will be just fine here without the need for mace or any personal alarm system. If, however, you don´t feel secure, a simple whistle (or a good set of lungs) should be enough to deter any would be thief. smile

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Chica ]

#37873 - 01/06/02 05:38 PM Re: Personal Alarm or Mace?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I agree with the previous posts...I am a petite woman (and a real wimp most of the time), and I have felt entirely safe in Spain, even walking alone in Madrid, taking buses, using the Metro, etc. Just remember to use the same common sense you would in any large city or crowded place...carry your handbag across your body, keep your valuables (cash, travelers checks, passport) tucked into a travel wallet inside your clothes, and walk like you know where you are going. If you feel uncomfortable or threatened, you can (a) look directly at the person making you feel strange and (b) get away from that person by ducking into a shop (my favorite strategy), crossing a street, or speeding up and putting other people between you and that person.

Always try to know your route ahead of time (check maps in a restaurant or shop, rather than on the street) and even if you get a little lost, keep going (or go into a shop and check your map/ask for directions).

My personal preference is to be indoors or traveling in groups at night, but other than that, I feel very safe. I wouldn't walk around my hometown late at night alone, so I wouldn't do it in Spain either. But don't let your worries about this keep you from having a great time...the chance of something happening are very, very slim--and even more so if you are alert and aware of your surroundings.

Just as a follow-up...I checked out the link for the travel alarm you mentioned, and since it's inexpensive, I might consider getting it for another reason, which is that it's possible you may stay in places where you feel uncertain about the safety of your room (junky locks, whatever). For $15, you might sleep better knowing that nobody can come in. I tend to notice lots of noises when I try to sleep in a new place, and especially in a city. Latching an alarm to your doorknob will let you drift off in peace. But that's just my quirk...and I stick by my earlier post about wandering the streets! Take the alarm if you want, but don't let it be a substitute for your common sense and street-smarts!
Have fun!
Tara

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#37874 - 01/08/02 09:53 AM Re: Personal Alarm or Mace?
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Marvilyn and taravb,

And for those of you concerned about personal safety while traveling:

This has been posted before, but I consider it a MUST to read the The Art of Travel , available online to read at no cost. There is a chapter on pickpocketing and self-defense. Once you read it, you will have a whole different outlook on personal safety. If you have time, read the entire book, it is loaded with very important information that alot of people don't think about before leaving on a trip.

The Art of Travel

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#37875 - 01/08/02 09:26 PM Re: Personal Alarm or Mace?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I agree with previous posts.

I'm not sure, but I guess that the USA and Spain have more or less the same crime rate, but here it is just much less violent. Most of the times someone is robbed there are not weapons at sight, or just white arms (which are not normally used). The most common crime: pickpocketing.

If someone aims at you with a gun: give him all, why risk yourself for some dollars?

I'm 23 years-old. I've walked across Madrid from Villaverde and Vallecas to Chamartín and Fuencarral. From the most dangerous zones (even gypsie zones) to the best comercial or residential ones. Noone have never pickpocketed me, nor robbed, nor menaced me.

Don't be afraid! We live here and I can tell you the life is not that bad... wink

Everyone here says that it is not good to look at a map in the middle of a street. Sure! But ask if you don't know where are you going! Enter a shop, a restaurant, hotel, or even ask a pedestrian. Most of the madrileños will be glad to try their english and help you! wink

Fernando

#37876 - 01/09/02 05:43 PM Re: Personal Alarm or Mace?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I'm in agreement with the previous posts. My advice is not to take anything of that nature. It may end up getting you in trouble, particularly the mace. Be alert and practice being safe and that will serve you better. While anecdotal, I was recently in Madrid from December 19 through December 24th and then from December 29 through January 1. I was in the thick of things, shopping by myself, I am a woman 5'6",in my late forties, I physically look like a Spanish woman, from my ancestry, and I was shopping at the Corte Ingles near Sol and at Princesa and all over Madrid. I did see the same shady characters that you see in any large city, if you have a look of don't bother me buddy, that suffices. Naturally, if you are out very late at night,past eleven, you may want to take a taxi.

I found Spain and Madrid specifically to be a pedestrian's delight. Frankly, I felt safer in Madrid than I do here in my home town.I dare not walk after dark here. frown The metro was safe and clean and I used it extensively.

Go with a confident and positive attitude and enjoy yourself!

Booklady smile

#37877 - 01/15/02 10:24 PM Re: Personal Alarm or Mace?
Marvilyn Offline

Loc: California
Thank you all for the great info. Reading all of your posts really helps me put everything in perspective. I do think I'll get the personal alarm as taravb points out, it's so inexpensive and I can put it on my hotel doorknob and sleep a little sounder.

I also read the online version of the Art of Travel suggested by zero262quick. It was an excellent source that gave some vivid examples of saftey situations to expect. Just like everything else, knowledge (i.e. common sense and awareness) seem to be the most effective tools for personal safety.
This is a great board and a great resource. Thank you all!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2471 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments