Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37235 - 12/01/00 09:18 PM Hand over your passport, please.
MarkB Offline

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
How common is the practice of hotels asking for one's passport (to keep) while staying with them?

Whenever I've confronted this in other countries (Scotland, Germany, etc.), I've refused. And every time, they've backed down.

Will that work in Spain? They've got my credit card # for security, they certainly don't need the most important document I possess. (I've actually got two, but am loathe to hand one over, even with a "back up.")

Thanks.

#37236 - 12/01/00 09:36 PM Re: Hand over your passport, please.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi MarkB! If you're worried about the safety/security of your passport (i.e. that they might sell it on the black market) you probably shouldn't. However, THERE IS a passport black market in Spain. I'm with you though. I'd never give my passport to a hotel, but know it is somewhat common for them to ask for it. Tell them you're going to some places during the day and need it for identification. OR, make a copy of the front, inside cover and give THEM the copy.

At least none of the hostels I stayed at in October asked for my passport. Well, actually, one did ask for it, but I told them I left it at my ladyfriend's house. Really, if you pay upfront I doubt you'll have a problem. Maybe it's for the hotels when you pay when you leave that they use the passport for their security that you'll actually return to pay in order to get it back.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37237 - 12/02/00 03:38 AM Re: Hand over your passport, please.
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Under the Franco regime, leaving your passport at the reception desk upon registering was routine. I believe it was required by the police. I never experienced any difficulty in getting it back after a day or two.
Cantabene

#37238 - 12/02/00 09:10 AM Re: Hand over your passport, please.
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Right, good ideas. Have a copy of the passport information, and/or offer to leave something else on deposit (a driver's license, etc). Probably your passport is VERY safe with the hostales folk, but it is unsettling to think of something so vital as out of your control for days at a time!

#37239 - 12/02/00 12:22 PM Re: Hand over your passport, please.
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
It is compulsory that hostels fill in a form for every customer they have. Then, we must take those forms to the police station.

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY PASSPORT BLACK MARKET AT HOSTELS.

What I heard is that some pickpockets steal passports from Japanese people and then they sell them to Chinese people who have entered illegally in Spain.

I don't keep my customer's passports but I always advise them to keep their passports in the room. But if someone thinks it's safer to take them to the street...

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 12-02-2000).]

#37240 - 12/02/00 12:36 PM Re: Hand over your passport, please.
MarkB Offline

No, I'm not really too worried about hostels selling/losing them, but I'm just generally uncomfortable with the idea of someone else being in control of a document so important to me.

I think I'll make a copy of my documents, and offer to leave my (expired) driver's license with them.

Thanks, folks.

(and thanks, Antonio, for your quick response to my inquiry re: a room next week)

#37241 - 12/02/00 01:03 PM Re: Hand over your passport, please.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Antonio, I DIDN'T SAY THERE WAS A PASSPORT BLACK MARKET WITH HOSTELS, I SAID THERE WAS A PASSPORT BLACK MARKET IN SPAIN! (deeep breath)

Passports are getting stolen all the time and I'd be careful to whom you gave them. Many illegals gain entry to Spain with false or stolen passports. It's not an epidemic, but it's a nuisance to be sure.

But yes, I think with hostels and even hotels are fine, but I'd rather either give them a copy with your photo and passport number than the original document. I think the Passport Number is what they really want (the hostels/hotels) to keep track of you and so you won't run off with no way of finding you.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#37242 - 12/08/00 01:58 PM Re: Hand over your passport, please.
leuci Offline

I'm surprised at the fuss over the handling over of passports--and that some places don't ask for them! Every single place I stayed at this trip, and they ranged from hostal-residencias to four-star hotels, asked for my passport. All they did was copy down the number, in my presence, onto their forms. As this has been the case on all six of my other visits to Spain, I've never given it a second thought. It's exactly the same in Argentina, so to me it seems normal.

#37243 - 12/10/00 10:36 AM Re: Hand over your passport, please.
MarkB Offline

Lueci, in my experience, I've had a couple of hostels want to actually *keep* them while I was there- no thanks. They can copy as much as they want out of my passport, just not keep it, as far as I'm concerned.

During my just completed trip, only one hotel wanted to keep it (Hotel Pasarela in Sevilla), but that's because I hadn't paid for the room (someone along the line screwed up in getting my Bancotel checks delivered there, but that's another post).

#37244 - 12/10/00 10:56 AM Re: Hand over your passport, please.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Yeah. I don't like this practice either. I believe it was at Hostal Dulcinea in October where they asked for my passport. But after explaining that it was in the house where I was staying during my 3-weeks in Madrid they decided it wasn't necessary afterall. OR, maybe because they knew who I was and why I was staying at their hostel. Either way, I believe it's true, some hostels do want you to leave your passport with them while you're staying there.

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1767 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments