Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35045 - 05/05/01 10:39 AM sleeveless tops...de moda o no?
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
I know to tell the girls on my trip to wear tight black capris :), but what should I tell them about sleeveless and spaghetti strap tops? The last time I was in Spain it seemed that more skin was showing than I would have anticipated (maybe all tourists!)If it gets toasty, do the usual dress codes disappear? We're leaving June 2.

#35046 - 05/05/01 11:59 AM Re: sleeveless tops...de moda o no?
perfecta Offline

Loc: Minot, ND, USA
Hola maestra! I have been taking kids to Spain for the last 8 years and I would say your girls would be fine in the summer shirts you describe. If you want to know what is being worn in spain go to the corte ingles, mango, zara web sites (I have all the addresses at my school...but a quick search on www.google.com should turn them up.) We are from North Dakota and not used to the heat of southern Spain so we feel the NEED to dress as briefly as possible while wanting to maintain modestly. My girls and I always bring sun dresses (short or long in length, spagetti straps to capped sleeves) which are awailable allover (JCrew to Target price range), they bring skorts and skirts with a rainbow array of the little tops to which you refer. Have your girls bring the minimum and then encourage them to go to some of the teen stores and buy the very clothes they will see the Spanish girls wearing....a great opportunity to practice the language in context!!!..OJO! as has been mentioned, if any of your girls are regordetas or even much over size 10, they will have trouble finding clothes to fit, so if this situation exists you will need to be sensitive.

We have only been 'kicked' out of the Almudena in Madrid once (after many visits...ususally in similiar dress) and it was I who wore the offending spagetti strapped dress. I DO usually tell the girls on the days we visit cathedrals to wear a skirt or dress and not have their bellies (or anything else) on display.

Ususally we have one member of the group carry a 'group tee shirt' so if someone's top/dress offends s/he can just slip the shirt over top and we can proceed.

Where are you and students going in spain? For how long? Maybe our trips overlap! I'm leaving on 9 June and return 29 June. We do Madrid and south. Send me a private emilio if you want to compare 'notes'

Hope this will help!
perfecta

#35047 - 05/05/01 06:00 PM Re: sleeveless tops...de moda o no?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I agree, sleevless is totally fine. In fact the majority of the summer tops I found at Zara and Mango while I was there were spaghetti straps, not slightly wider ones like I tend to wear here in the U.S.

#35048 - 05/06/01 10:31 AM Re: sleeveless tops...de moda o no?
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
My experience on the Costa del Sol last year was that all the young girls wore strappy tops, but they did wear underclothing with the latest see-through straps for modesty.
I can't speak of cities such as Madrid, but will report after my visit soon.I personally will be taking short or sleeveless tops for daytime only. eek eek

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1564 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments