Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#34563 - 12/04/00 03:21 PM So what do the Spaniards wear?
Joy Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
So I've read all these e-mail chains about what to bring for cold weather, and what not to wear if you don't want to stick out as a tourist, but I haven't read anything about what the Spaniards wear.

I'm going to Spain (Madrid, first), Portugal and Morocco at the end of December and into January, and I'd like to know how the Spanish women (30-somethings) dress, so that I might try to dress accordingly. I already wear leather shoes and I don't wear t-shirts or jeans, but is there a particular style that Spanish women have?

Btw, this will be my and my husband's first time in Spain. Thanks, MM and all MM-proponents, for your great tips!

#34564 - 12/05/00 02:22 AM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
nicholas Offline

Loc: san diego, ca. u.s.a. (granada...
hi there joy,
we've gone over this topic somewhat. if you do a search under "spanish and what they wear" you'll come up with three topics that go over the fashion aspect. hope that they help!! have a wonderful time! =)

#34565 - 12/05/00 09:43 AM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Hi Joy, Spanish women of all ages just somehow manage to look elegant in whatever they have on - unless they are the very much older women dressed in all black. Realise this isn't a "how to dress" - more a "what to expect". Have a wonderful time - I'm jealous!

#34566 - 12/05/00 04:09 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Wendy E Offline

tight black or blue jeans
deck shoes (no socks)
button down oxford shirt, usually in light blue
navy blue wool pullover
if a woman, add pearl earrings and a scrunchie

#34567 - 12/06/00 05:44 AM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Hey Wendy E:
Don't you want to add a sailor's white cap to that outfit? And why can't us guys wear earrings?
And for the original poster: just dress conservatively and you will fit in fine. If you are going to market you wear your 'go to market clothes;' and if you are dining out you wear your 'dining out' attire. I think Wendy E was 'pulling your leg.' At least I hope that's the case.

#34568 - 12/06/00 10:42 AM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Why don't you just buy clothes there? Then you won't miss the chance to look like us (Spaniards). The last time I was there (2 weeks ago) I bought 7 sweaters and 5 pants (plus shirts, shoes...) it is so cheap right now that you can fill your closet for a few houndred of dollars!

#34569 - 12/06/00 12:17 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I second Nuria. I would say make your way to Zara (my favorite Spanish clothing store) and pick up a few things there. I love the things I bought there and the prices are not bad.

I have to go with Wendy E, actually. It made me giggle, because I pictured my Spanish friends immediately.

Muted colors - you don't see a lot of bright red, orange etc. Lots of navy, black and combinations of darker brown and cream.

#34570 - 12/07/00 02:56 PM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Joy Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Thanks all of you for your responses. The funny thing is that it seems fashion doesn't change much. I lived in a small town in France 11 years ago and the French girls dress the way Wendy E described! Except they didn't wear tight jeans they wore somewhat loose, though I wouldn't exactly say baggy, jeans.

I do actually dress fairly conservatively, and I generally wear all black and/or navy blue.

To address Nuria and Nicole's suggestions, I have another question. I am a heavier woman than probably the average European woman my age. I do dress well, but my concern with purchasing clothes in Spain is that they may not have my size. What do you think?

#34571 - 12/08/00 06:16 AM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
nevado Offline

If you are looking for more career clothing (or Women's styles) try Cortefiel (all over Madrid). There are two on calle Goya, one on Calle Preciados, and one in Nuevos Minesterios toward Cuatro Caminos. They carry sizes up to 16. Also, try Jota Ele (JL) on Goya, Princesa, or Sol (near FNAC). They also carry woman's sizes. If you require larger than a U.S. 16, I'd head to El Corte Ingles.

#34572 - 12/08/00 09:56 AM Re: So what do the Spaniards wear?
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi Joy,
You might find clothes but if you are a young woman you might not like them. But how fun it will be to go clothe hunting???
Have fun!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1576 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments