Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36896 - 06/28/07 10:33 AM Money Exchange in Madrid
joycenj Offline

What are the best places to exchange US$ for Euros in Madrid? I am planning on bringing some Euros from the US, but was told it is better to do the exchange when we arrive. Please advise!!! Thank you for all your help.

#36897 - 06/28/07 02:15 PM Re: Money Exchange in Madrid
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
Don't exchange at all...the rates are horrendous and the service fees add insult to injury.

Load up your checking account with money and use your ATM card - there are machines everywhere. Probably the best rates and usually really low service fees.

Just take a couple credit cards and a couple hundred in dollars for emergencies.

SS

#36898 - 06/28/07 05:44 PM Re: Money Exchange in Madrid
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
Make sure you call your credit cards and let them know where you will be .. I had both my credit cards turned off within hours of landing in madrid last month - not sure why becuase it has never happened to me before but I was told I needed to call and let them know my travel dates ahead of time to avoid that. Must be a lot of fraud going on lately...

#36899 - 06/28/07 05:54 PM Re: Money Exchange in Madrid
joycenj Offline

Our credit card company (and we have more than one that we checked into) charges $12 for any transaction that is not US $!!! I am going to check to see if there are any ATM fees.
When travelling, I feel comfortable with travelers checks...Any other suggestions???

#36900 - 06/28/07 07:45 PM Re: Money Exchange in Madrid
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
The credit card I have used for years started doing the same thing.. they charge a percentage for every non us transaction... like 7% or something crazy... So I did some research and opened a Capital One no hassle card - they charge NO comission or transaction fee for oversees charges - just a straight exchage rate and I have found that to be the best deal .. I use the card only when traveling and never have to pay and fees.

#36901 - 06/28/07 11:14 PM Re: Money Exchange in Madrid
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

You can actually get travelers cheques in euros -- I know American Express issues them -- but I have never used them in Spain so I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to use them in a store or restaurant or elsewhere. I imagine in the larger stores (such as the department store El Corte Ingles) and tourist areas this would be more commonly accepted, but I really don't know. Maybe another board member has some input on that.

Some banks, such as Citibank, actually have many branches overseasm including Spain. You can withdraw money from their ATMs without any fees at all. And, other banks may have reciprocal agreements with foreign banks where you could use their ATMS without service fees. For example, your bank may have an agreement with the Spanish bank Caja de Madrid and you could use Caja de Madrid ATMs without service fees. I don't know how common this is, but it's possible.

As for the credit cards, I think it's too bad they are charging for foreign transactions because it's usually a pretty good exchange rate but it certainly seems to be the trend (mine went this way recently frown ). As CascadaDuSel mentioned, I have read about Capital One being a useful credit card to have abroad.

And, I would really recommend having 50 to 100 euros with you before you depart the States. Whenever I travel abroad, I order currency through my bank by calling them and they deduct the amount from my checking account. They ask me at which branch I'd like to pick it up and it's usually there the next day. (Give yourself some time before your departure date in case you plan to do this) If you have euros already with you it's one thing you don't have to worry about when you arrive. That way you don't have to hunt down a currency exchange or ATM immediately upon your arrival.

#36902 - 06/29/07 04:25 PM Re: Money Exchange in Madrid
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
Hi...

Yes...do not forget to let your credit card company know you are going.

If your card charges $12/transaction, get a new card just for the trip.

My cards all charged 3% -- so I never used them (I took three of them for emergencies).

My ATM fee was 1% (plus $2.00 per withdrawal - an insignificant amount on a 500 Euro withdrawal)...that was much better than credit cards and not even close to travelers checks, considering the great conversion rate.

SS

#36903 - 06/30/07 07:04 AM Re: Money Exchange in Madrid
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I second the ATM motion, as long as its a 4 digit pin code your fine to get money out. Don't even bother ordering a few euros, as soon as you arrive hit the closest banking machine. There's one located at international arrivals in Madrid airport. Just as anside be warned of bandit taxi drivers, if your approaced about needing a taxi tell them F*** **F walk out the door and take a legit taxi (diff about 30 euros)

#36904 - 07/01/07 12:46 PM Re: Money Exchange in Madrid
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I agree , use ATM, the best travel source for money/ go to your bank and get addresses of the atm where you are going, ask if they have correspondance banks in the country and use those:cheaper :sometimes like me no charge.
ATM is the way to go.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2636 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments