Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36799 - 06/16/06 10:25 AM Hostess gift
Quindaro Offline

Loc: Kansas
Hi-

We will be spending three nights in the home of a Spanish friend and would welcome any advice or suggestions as to what to pack as a hostess gift. We had planned to pick up flowers after we arrive and bring them with us, but we felt that something in addition to flowers would be appropriate. We have never been to her home before.

After searching the message board I found the discussion about bringing pecans... but are there any other suggestions for gifts that we could bring this generous friend?

Many thanks-

#36800 - 06/16/06 02:15 PM Re: Hostess gift
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Did you see this old thread about gifts? There are a lot of ideas in it. http://www.madridman.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000072

#36801 - 06/16/06 03:13 PM Re: Hostess gift
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Thanks for rehashing the old thread Diana, I read my comments from 6 years ago (WOW) and am still in the same predicament today.
I have given macadamia nut chocolates (from Hawaii), a nice scarf, and have picked up many items at the duty free shops along the journey. My sister in law loves a particular bath gel from Bath and Body Works, so I stock her up every time I go.
My suegra is not so much an issue anymore, since I bring her the greatest gift of all-her 2year old granddaughter!

#36802 - 06/16/06 10:00 PM Re: Hostess gift
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
My suegra is not so much an issue anymore, since I bring her the greatest gift of all-her 2year old granddaughter!
How wonderful!! And I bet she gets spoiled rotten!

Last year I felt like I got some good gifts here to take over: music CDs, religious books in Spanish (by American authors- this was for someone who only reads religious stuff - not all that common in Spain), fancy little cheese knives for the cheese lover, a fancy set of bath soap, hand soap, linen spray, and, I think, drawer liners (I think that's what they're called), jelly bellies and some locally made candies, a set of 6 different bath gels in a box, an emergency kit for a car.... Not really typical American things, but things I thought they might enjoy or find useful. I'd better get going on this year's gifts!!!

#36803 - 06/17/06 12:21 AM Re: Hostess gift
Quindaro Offline

Loc: Kansas
Thanks for the suggestions, this has been very helpful. I’m going to shop for several of the things mentioned, and save a list for future reference.

#36804 - 06/20/06 10:57 AM Re: Hostess gift
LouW Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
This may be kind of late, but why not something connected to your home town?

When I studied abroad years ago, I gave my host family a copy of Above Washington which has great arial photos of my home town. It was well received.

#36805 - 07/05/06 09:05 PM Re: Hostess gift
wesrick Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS
Well, it really depends on how much you're wanting to spend. Sure, pecans are nice.. and so is a t-shirt with a nice quip on it. But, hey, who would turn down a new car? Now THAT'S a great gift! Especially if you're receiving it!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments