Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36519 - 04/24/05 03:39 PM Ipod for digital photo storage?
vicki Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Hi -
Has anyone tried using the Ipod photo for digital photo storage while traveling? I don't own one and I haven't looked into it much, but it seems like it might be a good alternative to hauling around a laptop.

You would probably still need to take it with you everywhere, but it's so small, maybe it's not as much of a hassle?

Thanks!

#36520 - 04/25/05 04:45 AM Re: Ipod for digital photo storage?
ggladman Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Hi Vicki,

I've been tempted to try doing this too, since I have an iPod and it gets pretty tiring lugging around a laptop on every trip. The newer model iPods (the iPod Photo) are pretty much made for this, but for older models like my 3rd generation iPod, there are also add-ons that you can buy to read memory cards and transfer the images to your iPod. I know that Belkin makes one called Media Reader for iPod for around US$99, but since the price is a little higher in Spain, I haven't bought one myself yet. smile

I hope this helps...if you do end up finding something that works well, please let us know!

#36521 - 04/25/05 06:56 AM Re: Ipod for digital photo storage?
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Vicki, I have the IPOD photo and I do recommend it. However, you do have to buy the media reader, just as you had to when using the old IPOD. Also, you can only view the pictures you download in your IPOD using a computer. If you download them using the media reader you can't view them at all until you get home. So, the only advantages of IPOD photo agains the old one is a bigger hard disk, color screen and that's it.

#36522 - 04/26/05 01:02 PM Re: Ipod for digital photo storage?
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
If you have to buy anything, why not just buy a 1 GIG card for your digital camera?? No lugging anything around! 1G card can hold thousands of pics.
Just an idea.

#36523 - 05/01/05 11:02 PM Re: Ipod for digital photo storage?
vicki Offline

Well, I don't think the cards my camera takes come as large as 1 GB, but that's a good idea - havne't checked into it lately. Plus, I tend to take my pictures on fairly high resolution, so I could actually more than fill 1 GB in a couple of weeks -scary isn't it eek However, if I could do it, that would cut down on trips to internet cafes to transfer photos to CD.

Thanks for the Ipod replies! It is definitely useful to know that I would still need to purchase some accessories. Also, it seems strange to market something as specifically intended for use with photos, yet you can't use it view photos downloaded with the media reader. Maybe they will fix that problem with later versions.

Hmmm... I think I'm still looking for an excuse to buy an Ipod wink

#36524 - 05/03/05 07:06 AM Re: Ipod for digital photo storage?
JasMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
I agree with you Vicky, it's quite strange that you can't view pictures downloaded from the media reader. However I don't regret purchasing it. I found it really useful in my trips.

#36525 - 05/13/05 12:58 AM Re: Ipod for digital photo storage?
Miguelito from DC Offline

Loc: Washington DC
I'm going to Madrid in the first two weeks of June 2005 and I'd like to update my photo blog with daily photo updates while I'm there. But I'd rather not take my laptop. Questions:

1. Do most cyber cafes in Madrid let you connect your digital camera to their USB ports?

2. Is Photoshop or some other photo editing software usually available in cyber cafes?

If you have names and addresses of your favorite cyber cafes that would be great too. Thanks! laugh

#36526 - 05/17/05 01:29 AM Re: Ipod for digital photo storage?
vicki Offline

Hi Miguelito-
Quote:
1. Do most cyber cafes in Madrid let you connect your digital camera to their USB ports?

2. Is Photoshop or some other photo editing software usually available in cyber cafes?
I found that at the cybercafes I tried, I could not use a USB port directly. There were USB ports at every computer, but they were non-functional. However, they were happy to take my memory stick and download my pictures onto it or onto a CDRW - at no extra charge.

I did not find photoediting software on the cybercafe computers, but I wasn't really looking either.

Have a great trip!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2373 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments