Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#36396 - 01/24/05 12:41 PM Spain->USA: Taking cigarettes okay? 5 DAYS TO GO!!!!
fiffy2u Offline

Loc: tx
hi guys,
i have a five day wait before i get to board my plane and head to madrid..not sure what to or what not to expect but i am looking forward to my trip...i was wondering if i can bring back some cigarettes from spain to the u.s....i'm not sure exactly what i can or can't bring back...where can i go to read about the items that i can bring back to the u.s.?

#36397 - 01/24/05 12:53 PM Re: Spain->USA: Taking cigarettes okay? 5 DAYS TO GO!!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
And fiffy2u too! hehehe.. wink

Go to http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing_goods/ for info.

You intend to take cigarettes BACK FROM Spain?? confused That's an unusual scenario but more power to you, I guess. It's usually the other way around. Anyone else ever tried/wanted tried to bring back cigarettes to the USA from Spain? I'm sure you can do it but there's certainly a limit.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#36398 - 01/24/05 03:20 PM Re: Spain->USA: Taking cigarettes okay? 5 DAYS TO GO!!!!
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
Sure! Bring back Ducados, the "don't care if I die tomorrow" brand of cigarettes. Spanish, cheap,...

#36399 - 01/24/05 04:50 PM Re: Spain->USA: Taking cigarettes okay? 5 DAYS TO GO!!!!
fiffy2u Offline

Loc: tx
hi berzabuena,
that was funny...the cigarettes are not for me. a friend of mine wants me to bring back cigarettes from spain...i'll be sure and be on the lookout for that particular brand...

#36400 - 01/25/05 09:54 AM Re: Spain->USA: Taking cigarettes okay? 5 DAYS TO GO!!!!
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Although I am not much of a cigarette smoker, but I occasionally do enjoy a cigar now and then, I know that in Spain, cigars (puros) or cigarillos are probably better in Spain than in the US. esp. since Spain does not have a ban on Cuban goods. Cuba produces some of the best cigars in the world, other countries include the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua.

Most older people in Spain smoke cigarillos, which are cigarette shaped and smaller versions of a cigar, usually without a filter. They are a bit more expensive than normal cigarettes (Spain imports a lot of American cigarettes) but the taste and quality is a bit better...it's kind of like comparing an American coffee with milk to a Spanish cafe con leche.

I don't think you'd want to smoke these types of cigarettes everyday like the Spaniards do, but if your friend wants something different and a little bit better than a pack of 'boros, you should get those.

There is a limit only before you have to pay a duty. As I recall, I think it's two of those 12 packs=200 cigarettes or 100 cigars. And of course, you can't bring in Cuban anything. See the custom's website: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/dutyfree_exemption.xml

#36401 - 01/25/05 11:14 AM Re: Spain->USA: Taking cigarettes okay? 5 DAYS TO GO!!!!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Berzabuena writes:
Quote:
Sure! Bring back Ducados, the "don't care if I die tomorrow" brand of cigarettes. Spanish, cheap,...
You can find Ducados and several American (and British) brands at 'Duty Free' in Barajas airport. Once, I brought a carton of Ducados back for my son (I was trying to get him to quit). He didn't think that was very funny! rolleyes

They sure do discourage people who continuously try to 'bum' cigarettes: I gave several packs to a Visually challenged African American work associate. He would have to go outside the building to smoke ... and people were always 'hitting him up' for a cigarette. He would give them a Ducado; they would go away and not come back ... for a while. The beauty of it is: Tom (my visually challenged friend) loved the Ducados. cool

I think if I were to go back to smoking, I would prefer something strong & pungent, like Ducados. eek

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Espanol, quinlan
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2128 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments