Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34658 - 01/06/01 06:05 PM downloading the digital camera
breibach Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA
Ok, here is a question for the digital minded spanish aficionado. This summer I will spend 8 weeks in Spain and plan to take a digital camera. I will not take a laptop computer so I will have to go to a cyber cafe to down load my pictures from time to time (camera memory will not hold 8 weeks worth even at low resolution). Does anybody know if I will be able to hook my camera up to a computer at a cyber cafe (using a USB conncection) and either download to a disk or e-mail the pictures home? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#34659 - 01/06/01 07:57 PM Re: downloading the digital camera
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
First, I wouldn't recommend sending pictures through e-mail. Most e-mail accounts / servers have restrictions as for how big your attached files can be.

Also, it takes much longer since e-mail was not designed to transfer binary files and they are converted into text so that they can be transfered.

The best choice would be to upload the files via ftp.

----

As for the cybercafes, try the ones that offer fast connections. Both easyEverything at Montera, 10 and Ono.com at Fuencarral, 121 have optic fiber connections.

Also, I think there is a USB connector below the screen at easyEverything. However, you may need to install a special software to transfer the files from the camera to the hard disk of the computer. I'm not sure if they will allow you to do so (you won't probably have permission to write in the hard disk).

Hope this helps.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#34660 - 01/17/01 06:24 PM Re: downloading the digital camera
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
Why burden oneself with a technology that is less convenient that the technology it purports to replace? A roll of 35mm film will permanently record 36 photos--which can later be scanned onto a CD at the same time they are redeveloped.

Where is the advantage of digital? Is being able to preview a shot worth all the hassle and risk of losing the coverage?
Cantabene

#34661 - 01/25/01 03:04 PM Re: downloading the digital camera
MarkEtheredge Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
I have a wonderful Canon SLR 35mm, but it has gathered dust for a year while I continue to enjoy a digital camera (Olympus C2020).

I travel frequently, and at first I was concerned about memory. But I take my very small and light notebook PC with me so that I can easily download and take as many pictures as I like. On a two-week trip to Europe last year, I took over 2,000 pictures! That would be quite expensive with 35mm. I can review all the photos when I return home and only print the ones I like. I also have a very good (but inexpensive) photo printer that allows me to output wonderful single prints and album pages on heavy matte or glossy photo paper. It is great for creating photo albums.

I travel light, and the small notebook PC is not a burden. I have taken it to Costa Rica, Venezuela, Europe, etc., and no problem. But that is the key: without the notebook PC I would not be able to take so many pictures.

(I am leaving tonight for my first trip to Madrid, and I hope to take many pictures!)

Mark

#34662 - 01/25/01 09:34 PM Re: downloading the digital camera
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Most cybercafes have the software in place in their computers for you to do uploads. But, instead of sending them in emails, take advantage of one of the dozens of sites on the internet that allow you free storage. You can even do an upload into one of the "free websites" available, to use as storage, then go about your business, taking more pics.

As far as finding a cafe, they are everywhere, and even if the number listed on the Internet doesn't seem too complete, you can find them quickly enough in the local yellow pages of the phone books, and rest assured, the computers are usually the top of the line.

In fact, I intend doing exactly what I just indicated in September of 2001, as we spend 3 to 4 weeks in Spain. It works. We did it in '98, and compiled a fantastic collection of pics.

Wolf

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1866 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments