Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34553 - 11/27/00 10:26 PM ATMs
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
In the past I usually bring travelers checks although friends have told me of the benefits of using ATMs instead of dealing with the currency exchanges. What have other people experienced using ATMs abroad and how have the fees compared to the commisions at the currency exchanges?

#34554 - 11/27/00 10:45 PM Re: ATMs
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Ed S! Good to see you around again. It's been awhile!

All the answers to your questions are likely found here already. Look up and to the right, find the SEARCH link and click on it, then enter ATM as your keyword search and you'll find many MANY postings about ATM card usage, traveler's checks versus ATM, exchange rates, commissions, I think just about everything.

Last month while in Madrid is exclusively used my ATM card at ATM machines for all my cash and didn't even cash any of my traveler's checks. Lower commission on ATM exchanges than on traveler's checks exchanges. I think mine was about 2%, but it depends on your company. Call/write them for their international exchange rates. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34555 - 11/28/00 06:15 AM Re: ATMs
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
One of the benefits of using ATM's is when you just want to convert a small amount. Most 'Cambios' have a 'minimum commission' which is really exorbitant for exchanging small amounts. I call it 'front end load.' Then there are the really bad exchange rates offered by the 'Cambios' at the airport and rail stations...

#34556 - 12/04/00 09:43 PM Re: ATMs
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
MM,

Thanks for the info. I actually did try a search first, but I only typed ATM and didn't have any luck. I searched using ATMs and found lots of advice. Looks like I will be using my ATM card with a some travelers checks as back-up. Luckily my bank issues them for free so if I don't use them it won't cost me!

Ed

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1927 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments