Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#35996 - 09/24/03 02:03 AM What to wear in Madrid?
DanaD1966 Offline

Loc: Medford, Oregon USA
I will be traveling to Madrid, Spain as a student. I will be there for two months (late January through mid March). Not only is this my first trip to Spain, but it is my first "big" trip anywhere!

I am a female who will be living with a host family and want to be sure and respect the traditions and culture expected of women in Spain. I've done a small amount of research, and there appears to be some taboos, such as no flip-flops, no T-shirts, nothing too revealing, etc., etc. Is there any truth to this, and would those of you who have traveled to Spain elaborate on the issue of clothing? I'm not a "flashy" dresser, but fear that what may be acceptable here in the US, may unintentionally offend those in Spain.

I am also unclear on the weather in Madrid during those months, which would obviously make a difference in the way one would dress.

Thank you.

#35997 - 09/24/03 03:17 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Miguelito Offline

Hello Dana,
the weather will be cold in January, and maybe some good days in february and March.
T-shirts are OK, I don't know what are flip-flops, but here girls wear almost everything.

#35998 - 09/24/03 04:25 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know what a flip-flop is either, but I can say that girls get pretty sexy many times. Many use extremely short skirts or tight t-shirts, tight pants, and so on. SOme use leather or lycra.

I think you can use anything as far as your b*tt is covered (or semi-covered), hehe. smile

Of course, many times use shirts and manly trousers, to look more professional at work or fancyful (they can get pretty elegant), but you can see any style in the streets.

¡Que lo pases bien! Have fun! laugh cool

#35999 - 09/24/03 08:22 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
mikey Offline

Loc: ny
Flip-flops = sandals.

But not the designer ones. More like the plastic ones you take to the shower.

They're called flip-flops because of the noise they make. 'Flip flop'

:p

#36000 - 09/24/03 09:19 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I would definitely NOT recommend flip-flops then. People is accustomed to seeing nude flesh (up to a point), but not to seeing things that are too "unfashionable" at the streets. Unless in the beach or a pool, you'd be stared at.

However, stilysh sandals will be welcome everywhere, and won't look out of place, specially if the climate is hot or even mild by when you arrive. Now, sometimes my friends dance with open shoes at the discos. But not the kind that make the flip-flop noise. wink

#36001 - 09/24/03 09:34 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Anyway, it would be impossible to offend a spaniard with what you wear wink

But for certain your dress style will make people judge you for the bad or the better. Flip-flops are not commonly used except in the swimming-pools.

My suggestion: Wear what you want, and once you get here watch what people wear and buy whatever you would like to wear of what you see.

Fernando

#36002 - 09/24/03 09:51 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Miguelito Offline

If you wear flip-flops in January everybody will stare at you eek eek
I must tell one thing we found really ugly and unfashion is to wear socks with sandals as lot of tourist do.

#36003 - 09/24/03 10:15 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Weather will be very cold in January, sometimes better, most worse in February, milder (almost spring) in March.

I wouldn't use open shoes by then.

You won't offend anyone, but Miguelito was right: Wearing f-f in the streets would make you look "unclassy" to our eyes.

#36004 - 09/24/03 10:21 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Indie Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Actually flip-flops were the fashion gadget of this summer (2003) better call them CHANCLAS instead of sandals. When you name them SANDALS it´s sounds to left-wingish / alternative.

But I agree... don´t wear them in january, people will think you are crazy! :-)

(the real english synonim for flip-flops are: thongs, mules and slipper)

greets

#36005 - 09/24/03 10:25 AM Re: What to wear in Madrid?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ha,ha, Indie. But first tell'em where you were: surfing at Tarifa, ¿no?

Regards. laugh

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
pablo80, pikkmees, ValLynn
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1467 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments