Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#35628 - 06/26/02 11:13 AM El Camino De Santiago
ELECTRACITY Offline

Loc: CANADA
Hola!
This topic is surely around here somewhere, sorry if it is redundant.
I bring it up beacause my wife and I will "do the walk" in spring/summer 2003 busing some sections as we deem nessessary. Keep in mind that the following is what I would walk with. I would leave my compact suitcase at a friends house in Madrid.
WHAT DO YOU PACK??
After some study and surfing the numerous (excellent)web sites and reading diaries the conclusion is this:
You will do washing every day.
Pack light (repeat this 1000 times). Pick a decent pair of shoes. I like the "hiking runners" that are on the market today. Very light, with removable insole (a must for quick drying). They should also have a mesh type upper this makes the shoe cooler. A GOOD pair of running shoes will also do. Don't let anyone talk you into some swiss alpine/dolomitic/super boot. I talked to someone in Pamplona last year who was walking with his wife, with my own eyes I saw him throw away a $400 pair of above-mentioned super boots. With these shoes you should carry an athletes foot poweder and use it every day as part of your gearing up routine. Also have 3 pairs of cotton socks, the ankle high type. A small little tube (tiny jar) of Vaseline. This you will put between your toes to reduce friction. Don't laugh it's almost like a miracle. Also have some kit for blisters.
2 pairs of shorts. I like the new "stretch jeans" that are on the market now, I make shorts with them. They have a percentage of spandex in them which makes them super comfy and dry quicker and typically the denim in this case is thinner. Do NOT get those thick canvas shorts featured in so many outdoor stores, they are hot, uncomfortable, hard to wash / dry. Bring I pair of boxer shorts. they are very thin cotton "shorts" that some men wear as underwear. I sew closed the front opening (fly) and use them as shorts to wear after the shower etc. Also 3 underwear of your choice.
One belt. NOT the thick leather/ big buckle type.
Three t-shirts. I like the golf shirts that I buy at the local Walmart. Knitted with collar and a front pocket is a MUST. They are cheap and thin cotton (wash and dry eazy) cool to wear, and the collar can be turned up if the sun is cooking the back of your neck. The pocket is great for tickets/coupons/receipts etc. The Golf shirts tend to look a bit "dressier" than a regular t-shirt.
Hat your choice, and sunglasses (2 pair). I buy the cheap (but good) kind that you see at your local drug store. Bring your expensive ones if you dare but take care of them.
Lip balm with a SPF rating of 15. Good not only for lips but in emergency ears, face, back of neck.
A water proof watch, Timex triathalon type. It has an alarm, you can read it in the dark (indiglo), and you can time things.
Bug spray. Put it in a small spray bottle. I spray questionable bed linnen and corners of dark musty rooms (I hate getting bitten in my sleep!!Any time for that matter!!).
Ear plugs. You will alway have a snorer in the hostales. Bring a bunch of them they are cheap. Scatter them amoungst your belongings that way you'll always find them when needed.
Small flash light (water proof)with a bright body (easyer to see in your dark bag) and it should have a constant on feature.
A sleep sack, cotton blend homemade with a sheet folded in half. Have just the bottom part of the open side sewn, this makes it easy to regulate temp by putting 1 or 2 legs out.
GOOD BACK PACK. This is up to you. Mine has no frame but is padded and well made. Rugged Zippers down both sides. Top load packs are useless, what you need is always at the bottom and you have to empty your bag every time to get at it. Tie straps on the outside are handy as are smaller compartments.
Organize everything in large Ziplok bags. Keeps things dry if you get rained on, things can be seen.
1 pair of cheap sandles (flip flop)for the shower and to lounge around. It gives your feet a break from the shoes.
A collapseable walking stick. Easy to pack, helps you walk, good defence from dogs.
Small camera w/ zoom (your choice). I like the new compacts with at least a 115mm zoom and all the options. Pricey yes but very convienent. Compact binoculars (I use them). Great for reading signs at a distance and taking in the view!!
one sleveless fleece VEST with pockets. The Zipper must go up all the way so the collar is snug around your neck. This washes and dries super quick.
I like to carry a few "power bars" / energy bars that I use in emergency. The villages along the way have excellent food and convience stores for water/snacks/bananas/yogurt etc.
Practice walking with your pack loaded at home to get used to it and see if it will work for you.
And perhaps the wisest advice:
If something is uncomfortable at home like clothes, shoes, a thick hot watch strap etc. It WILL be intollerable on your trip. Shoe laces should be black (look cleaner) and trimmed to a decent lenght. I see people walking around with shoe laces that are 2 meters long, WHY?? Cut them and burn the ends with a lighter.
Your pants should have Zippers, this is quicker and more comfortable then button flies, velcro etc.
Bring a small first aid kit as part of your toiletries. Don't go over board with your toiletries. You can buy almost anything in even the smallest village in Spain. I use Prell concentrated shampoo, to shave/wash clothes/ & shampoo. Practice at home with this, as well as your super absorbant towel (like swimmers use). You'll need a pocket tool (your choice). I found one at Home Depot for $5 and it has everything on it. I would hate to loose a $100 version.
If anyone can think of something that can be added here please post it. We can always learn from others, and to me it's the little things that make trips comfortable.
Venga hasta proto!!
Oye, saber un poco de castellano ayuda mucho. Por lo minimo algunas frases.

#35629 - 06/26/02 11:53 AM Re: El Camino De Santiago
miche_dup1 Offline

emmm 'Hola'!
SWISS ARMY KNIFE! especially for the bottle opener (jeje) wine is a life saver on the camino, also for slicing up delicious bits of cheese,bread,tomatoes. Gortex boots? I just loved mine and for a year after i've practically worn them everyday! they were so good, exactly the right fitting is the way to go with boots otherwise yeah big problems!! and lanolin cream for your feet perhaps better than vaseline? but take vaseline anyway,and definitely 'Compeed plasters for blisters though you can buy them in the villages, towns etc.
And cotton cotton cotton all the way, it stinks less than fleece or other new textile inventions, your old t-shirts will do and you can throw away if you need to without thinking twice. oh and swimming costumes, there are a few pools on the route and it is such a relief for the body!....a guitar?, flute, anything if you are musical! :cool
the rest you will find on the camino!!! wink haha
My husband will be on the route july/august, i did it last year and want to go again. Good luck and 'buen Camino, menos agua y mas vino asi es el Camino'!!!!(but drink loads of water too. wink
Love Michelle

#35630 - 06/26/02 01:17 PM Re: El Camino De Santiago
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
This topic is already open, and fairly recent. For more information and hints, check it out at:

http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000113

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2350 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments